Trying to sort HEIC files but without success

Started by boredcollie, August 14, 2021, 05:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boredcollie

I usually use this command to sort my pictures, but recently I found that doesn't work with HEIC files downloaded by my iPhoneX:

exiftool -P -d '%Y%m%d_%H%M%S' \
   '-filename<${FileModifyDate#;DateFmt("%Y")}/${FileModifyDate#;DateFmt("%Y%m%d")} - ${Model;tr#\/#-#}/${FileModifyDate}_${ImageSize}_${Model;tr#\/#-#}%+.3c.%le' \
   '-filename<${CreateDate#;DateFmt("%Y")}/${CreateDate#;DateFmt("%Y%m%d")} - ${Model;tr#\/#-#}/${CreateDate}_${ImageSize}_${Model;tr#\/#-#}%+.3c.%le' \
   '-filename<${DateTimeOriginal#;DateFmt("%Y")}/${DateTimeOriginal#;DateFmt("%Y%m%d")} - ${Model;tr#\/#-#}/${DateTimeOriginal}_${ImageSize}_${Model;tr#\/#-#}%+.3c.%le' \
   -r .

any suggestions? Thanks!

StarGeek

How doesn't it work?  What is the output from the command when it doesn't work?
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

boredcollie

Sorry for the late answer.
It doesn't work in the sense that HEIC files are not renamed. They simple stay in their original folder with theri original name. It looks like they are not read or processed.
In the output there are minor warning about other stuff but not HEIC files.

Like this:

Warning: [minor] Tag 'RawImageFullSize' not defined - ./DCIM/PLWB9765.JPG
Warning: [minor] Tag 'Model' not defined - ./DCIM/RKSL5798.JPG
Warning: No writable tags set from ./DCIM/RKSL5798.JPG
Warning: [minor] Tag 'RawImageFullSize' not defined - ./DCIM/RPXY8905.JPG

Edit: Pasting and example of exiftool output for a single image: https://pastebin.com/j3xiMgGM

Edit2: other context I can give; I'm windows 10 and running exiftool 11.16 from debian WSL.

StarGeek

Ah, finally got it.  This is FAQ #16.

Your version
ExifTool Version Number : 11.16

And from exiftool version history
May 17, 2019 - Version 11.43 - "Write HEIC and CR3"

You have to either update exiftool or add -ext+ heic.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

boredcollie

oh wow! Thanks, this solved the issue. On Windows WSL debian doesn't have the latest exiftool version, so I'm using the -ext+ heic option!
Thanks!