Writing batch routine to modify Camera model name in Nikon raw files in one sub-

Started by swingman, September 27, 2021, 08:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swingman

Hi,
I am a newbie to this software and the forum. If am asking things which were discussed before please point to to right location.

I recently purchased a Nikon Z fc camera and kit lenses. The software I use (PL3) only support the older Z 50 camera which uses the same sensor as my new camera. One way until they update their software, I would like to modify the header info in the raw file to Z 50.
How do I write a routine in Exiftool  to process all the raw files in one directory?
Regards
Swingman

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

To add to this, my standard copy/paste

This command creates backup files.  Add -Overwrite_Original to suppress the creation of backup files.  Add -r to recurse into subdirectories.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

swingman

Hi Phil,
I get the following error massage
'exiftool' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

I downloaded the latest windows version yesterday and trying to run with (-k) in the command name as I didn't strip it.
i was running it in the directory where the Nikon files are stored in dos.
The exiftool is in a sub directory under downloads as I haven't moved it to new location.

I have also tried it after removing (-k) in the file name. No change.

StarGeek

This means that the computer cannot find exiftool in order to run it.  Exiftool needs to be in one of the directories that is part of the PATH env variable.  Type PATH into the CMD and you'll get a list all the directories that are part of the PATH, separated by semicolons.  Put exiftool in one of those and make sure it is renamed as per the Windows Install Instructions.

Alternatively, you can use Oliver's Alternative Exiftool build, which includes an Install program that will set up exiftool correctly and add the PATH needed to run it.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

swingman

Thank you to Phil and Stargeek for helping me out. It works fine.

I have also noticed that there is approximately about 1k bytes difference between before and after file sizes. There are also few odd character differences between the files (opening them in a hex editor). I didn't notice any effects loading the modified files into PL3 software. Any reason why the differences? Would this affect any checksum info in the file?

Regards

StarGeek