EXIF Windows Comment to Liinux Mint Comment

Started by Pedro Laia, July 24, 2022, 05:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedro Laia

Hello...

Recently I left Windows and enter the world of Linux, installed Linux Mint and I'm loving it :)

But, one of the problems of the migration is that I've thousands of pictures in an external drive that was being used in Windows, in Windows I would put comments in each picture, in Mint, those comments show up in EXIF - Windows Comment.

I wanted that Windows Comment to show up in the Comments of the picture, since if its only in EXIF Windows Comment, the search can't find it :(

Is there a command to copy the Windows Comment to the "normal" comment ?

Thanks !

Phil Harvey

Yes.  First you need to figure out where to write the comment so your software will read it.  See FAQ 3 for this.  I'm guessing maybe UserComment.

This should also allow you to figure out where the current comments are currently stored.  I'm thinking probably XPComment.

The command to copy XPComment to UserComment looks like this:

exiftool "-usercomment<xpcomment" DIR

or more specifically:

exiftool "-exif:usercomment<exif:xpcomment" DIR

(but the "exif:" is not necessary because this is the preferred group when writing)

This should work assuming I have guessed correctly.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Pedro Laia

Phil, you're an angel !!!

You saved my hair, I needed to change this comments for thousands of pictures, and now thanks to you I just need a couple of minutes to change all of them !!!

I can't thank you enough.

I'm going to make a very happy donation, or if you need my help for something else, please, tell me.

Best regards from Sintra, Portugal

PS : If you ever come to Portugal, I'm very happy to host you in my house, I live near Sintra, a great place to visit (near Lisbon, the capital). I'm going to send by PM my e-mail and mobile number

Phil Harvey

Hi Pedro,

I'm happy that worked out for you.

Thanks for the offer to visit.  I've been wanting to visit Nazare.  Maybe next year if everything works out.  :)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Pedro Laia

lol, we also want to go to Nazare, to see the big waves, we have a friend that has a house near Nazare and we want to schedule that with her, the house is big, so, if you want to come along, just tell me something.

Did you receive my contacts by PM ?

I'm not receiving the notifications from the forum, are they working or is it my problem ?

Phil Harvey

Yes, I got your PM, thanks.

For me it will be hard to schedule a visit and time it when there are big waves.  But if I get lucky, great.  It's only about 100 km from you, so isn't that an easy day trip?

Unfortunately the forum notifications are broken due to a Google security upgrade (read here).  I've tried to fix this but I don't have too much time to waste on stuff like this.

- Phil

Pedro Laia

From my house is around a 2 hour trip.

You want to go to Nazaré because of the waves or something else ?

Phil Harvey

That's a bit further than I thought, but not too bad.

Yes, for the waves.  But just to see the place if it doesn't happen to be wavy.  I've seen Jaws when the waves weren't big enough to break on the reef, and it was still impressive to visit the site.

- Phil

Pedro Laia

I was seeing in google maps and from my house is 1,5h, not 2h.

The big waves are around february, right ?

When you come, I can talk with my friend and most probably we can stay there, it's her second house.

Just tell me with 2-4 weeks notice.

Phil Harvey

This is all very hypothetical at the moment, but I appreciate the offer.

And if I come I would be travelling with my wife.

- Phil