Main Menu

Use extra tags

Started by Giessie, October 03, 2022, 10:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giessie

Hi all,

Since last week I own a Ricoh GRIII and I noticed that Ricoh does things different then my Sony (A7IV) with RAW files. Looking at the exif data I noticed that there should be a possibility to solve it. But as a newbie I don't know if my logic is right.

What is the case. On camera it is possible to shoot in crop. This is usefull as you can compose the image on the selected crop size. On Sony I can choose for example a 1:1 crop. And on the Ricoh I can choose a 35mm crop.
I shoot in RAW format on both camera's. The difference is that with the Sony RAW file I can adjust the crop afterwards in LightRoom (LR), where the whole 3:2 format file is available. Very handy for some fine tuning on the crop.
Ricoh also saves the complete 3:2 RAW file but this cannot be adjusted in LR.

Looking in both Exif data I noticed that the Sony RAW has the following extra tags:
  • SonyCropTopLeft
  • SonyCropSize
These two tags hold the information of the cropped picture.
  • DefaultCropOrigin
  • DefaultCropSize
Hold the original file format of the Sony.

Are there tags which can hold the cropped information besides the original format information, like Sony does.
Or can I just add the Sony tags to the Ricoh Exif data?

Here is the exif data I talk about.

Sony cropped 1:1
DefaultCropOrigin               : 12 8
DefaultCropSize                 : 7008 4672
SonyCropTopLeft                 : 1180 8
SonyCropSize                    : 4672 4672

Ricoh at 28mm, uncropped
DefaultCropOrigin               : 10 12
DefaultCropSize                 : 6000 4000

Ricoh at 35 mm, cropped
DefaultCropOrigin               : 610 412
DefaultCropSize                 : 4800 3200

Thanks Jeroen

StarGeek Edit: Edited to correct formatting.

StarGeek

Use the command in FAQ #3 to see the locations of those tags, as well as duplicate tags.

The ones with Sony in the name are probably Sony Makernotes.  Those cannot be created or deleted.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).