Main Menu

Automator Folder Action

Started by paulcalver, May 06, 2023, 10:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulcalver

Hi,  I've been trying to make an automaton folder action to automatically remove camera make exif data when new .dng files are added.  From my research this appears correct, but doesn't seem to be working?

for f in "$@"
do
  if [ "${f: -4}" == ".dng" ]; then
    /usr/local/bin/exiftool -overwrite_original -make= "$f"
  fi
done

I've check path is correct and that latest exiftool is installed via terminal.  Screen shot attached of the action.

Any help would be amazing, thanks.  Paul.

paulcalver

Tried running this in terminal and this is the error I'm getting:

Error: [minor] Error reading value for MakerNotes entry 30

StarGeek

That is telling you that exiftool can't parse the MakerNotes in the file.  This could be because the format of the MakerNotes is unknown, but it's more likely they've been corrupted by a program which doesn't properly rewrite EXIF data.

Unless it is stopping your program, you can ignore it. Otherwise, you can add the -m (-ignoreMinorErrors) option to suppress it, though that will also suppress other minor warnings.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

paulcalver

Final found the solution!!  This allows you to shoot a Hasselblad tethered to Phocus and then automatically import into Capture One:

for f in "$@"
do
    /usr/local/bin/exiftool -overwrite_original -MakerNotes= "$f"
    /usr/local/bin/exiftool -overwrite_original -Make=HB "$f"
done

Phil Harvey

You should be able to do this in a single command (which will execute much more quickly):

exiftool -overwrite_original -makernotes= -make=HB $@

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

paulcalver

Thanks Phil, that does indeed work faster!