C++ API and open source apps

Started by agriggio, January 07, 2023, 11:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agriggio

Hi,
First post here. I tried searching but nothing showed up, so here's my question: is it possible to use the C++ API in an open source app (specifically GPLv3)? I'm currently using the exiftool binary but it's a bit slow sometimes, so I was wondering whether I could simply use the existing C++ API instead.
Thanks in advance!

StarGeek

See the ExifTool License Stickied post just above your post.

Quote from: agriggio on January 07, 2023, 11:20:06 AMI'm currently using the exiftool binary but it's a bit slow sometimes, so I was wondering whether I could simply use the existing C++ API instead.

Make sure you're not calling exiftool separately for every file.  That is Common Mistake #3.

The C++ API is not a C++ version of exiftool, it is simply a wrapper that calls exiftool via the -stay_open option.  Exiftool is still required in either the pure Perl or Windows "executable", which is really just the Perl code with a built in Perl interpreter.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

agriggio

Thanks for the reply. I think I was unclear, so let me try again. I know how the c++ wrapper works, my question is whether such wrapper can be used in GPL code, exactly because I do not want to reimplement the functionality to handle the -stay_open flag myself. If I understand correctly the post you referenced only talks about the exiftool binary, not about the c++ helper library...

Thanks again!

Phil Harvey

The C++ wrapper isn't a GPL license, but so far I have been letting people use it for free.  My plan was to only start charging for this if support for it starts taking too much of my time.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

agriggio