Displaying metadata in Photoshop for MacOS

Started by Novak, July 11, 2023, 10:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Novak

For several days I have been trying to solve the problem but I can not find the answer on the Internet. Please help me.

The problem is related to the display of meta tags in Photoshop running MacOs.

Description of the problem:

1. I clear all meta tags in .jpg file:
exiftool -all= -adobe= TEST.jpg

2. Next, I add a value for the State meta tag:
exiftool -State='State name' TEST.jpg

3. Next, I checked the result:
exiftool -a -G1 -s TEST.jpg

Result:
[ExifTool] ExifToolVersion : 11.88
[System] FileName : TEST.jpg
[System] Directory : .
[System] FileSize : 2.4 MB
[System] FileModifyDate : 2023:07:11 17:02:34+03:00
[System] FileAccessDate : 2023:07:11 17:02:38+03:00
[System] FileInodeChangeDate : 2023:07:11 17:02:34+03:00
[System] FilePermissions : rw-r--r--
[File] FileType : JPEG
[File] FileTypeExtension : jpg
[File] MIMEType : image/jpeg
[File] ImageWidth : 4972
[File] ImageHeight : 3315
[File] EncodingProcess : Baseline DCT, Huffman coding
[File] BitsPerSample : 8
[File]ColorComponents : 3
[File] YCbCrSubSampling : YCbCr4:4:4 (1 1)
[XMP-x] XMPToolkit : Image::ExifTool 11.88
[XMP-photoshop] State : State name
[Composite] ImageSize : 4972x3315
[Composite] Megapixels : 16.5

4. Next, I open this file in Photoshop on Windows 10. File > FileInfo > Origin. I see that my new value has appeared in the line Province/State.

5. Next, I open this file in Photoshop on MacOS. File > FileInfo > Origin. I see that there is no value in the Province/State line. Empty.

My goal is to display mettags in MacOs.

I tried like this:

1. Added the meta tag
exiftool -IPTC:Province-State='State name' TEST.jpg
This works, but the length of the string is cut off at 32 characters (if Unicode then at 16). This result does not suit me.

2. Added meta tag -IPTCDigest=new

3. Tried to follow the standard and added technical meta tags -XMP-xmpMM:InstanceID, -XMP-xmpMM:DocumentID, XMP-xmpMM:OriginalDocumentID, XMP-xmpMM:HistoryInstanceID.

4. Added space name: XMP:State, XMP-photoshop:State

5. Changed the value of the meta tag directly in Photoshop MacOs - the value is saved correctly. Next, I looked at the changed meta tags using the diff console utility. I saw that several dozens of meta tags are changing, and I cannot find which one is responsible for the correct display.

I understand that Photoshop MacOs is trying to read meta tags from the outdated IPTC section. But if saved from the program, it reads the meta tags from the new XMP-photoshop section.

Can I force the program to read information from the XMP-photoshop space in the file, as in the Windows version of the program?

What could be the solutions to this problem?

ExifToolVersion : 11.88
Windows 10
MaOs Monterey 12.6.3
Photoshop for Windows 2022 - 23.5.0
Photoshop for Mac OS 2022 - 23.5.2

Phil Harvey

I would try deleting all of the old IPTC metadata:  -iptc:all= -iptcdigest=

(In case there is useful information in IPTC, it should first be moved to XMP)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: Novak on July 11, 2023, 10:34:14 AM1. I clear all meta tags in .jpg file:
exiftool -all= -adobe= TEST.jpg

Minor thing, there's no upside to removing the Adobe block as it is small and there is nothing in there that can link back to any person or computer.  But there is the downside is that you may change the colors of the file.

Quote1. Added the meta tag
exiftool -IPTC:Province-State='State name' TEST.jpg
This works, but the length of the string is cut off at 32 characters (if Unicode then at 16). This result does not suit me.

You can add -m (-ignoreMinorErrors) option the write IPTC data of any length.  I have yet to encounter a program that holds to the spec's maximum tag length.  They all just ignore it.

QuoteCan I force the program to read information from the XMP-photoshop space in the file, as in the Windows version of the program?

I agree with Phil, drop the ITPC IIM data unless a program in your workflow absolutely needs it.  You can use the IPTC2XMP.args file to make sure the data has been copied from the IPTC to the correct locations in XMP.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).