Unable to write tags to out-of-spec(?) 3GP videos

Started by Lucent, June 13, 2023, 11:29:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucent

Roughly five 3GP videos I'm unable to write a corrected DateTimeOriginal from its internal CreateDate due to "Error: Can't locate data reference to update offsets". I don't suspect any byte corruption from transfer. I believe these were created with a Samsung SGH-X820 from 2006 or possibly a Nokia E61.

Phil Harvey

Thanks for the sample.

The problem is that the sample description atom comes after the sample pointeres, so ExifTool doesn't have the information it needs when it tries to update the pointers.  But I can work around this.

I'll patch ExifTool 12.64 to be able to write videos like this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Lucent

One more bad file, if you are interested. Claims to be MP4 and very limited tags I can inspect. The headlines shown by newsmap suggest it was taken Feb 8, 2007, probably by that same Samsung XGH-820.

Thanks for a great tool. I've properly tagged and imported 87,000 photos taken over the past 24 years thanks to your help. Do you have a fan mail address? I'd like to send a periodic table plastic wallet card or poster I created as thanks.

Phil Harvey

Thanks.  My patch works for this one too.

I sent you a PM with my address.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

I got the periodic table cards.  Thanks! :)

- Phil