German Umlaute in Quicktime Tags

Started by sonnenschein78, July 21, 2023, 11:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonnenschein78

Hi Phil,

Let me tell you a BIG BIG THANK YOU for developing the Exiftool. I really use it a lot to structure my pictures on my laptop. For the future I also want to use the Exiftool for structuring my videos. So I plan to work with the Quicktime Tags.

I am currently facing issues in using the German Umlaute like äöü. For the JPG pictures I am using the HTML decoding / encoding and that works perfectly well. Unfortunately for the Quicktime Tags I wanted to do it exactly that way but it does not work!

Let me show you an example!

Sören --> Sören

"C:\Exiftool\exiftool" -E -overwrite_original_in_place -Keys:Title="XXX" -Keys:Genre="Holiday Videos" -Keys:Description="Video aufgenommen von: XXX" -Keys:Author="Sören" "Hawaii.MOV"

In the end under the files properties the values for Author look as follows: S++ren (instead of Sören).

I am using Windows 10, 64 bit.

Any idea and solution???

Thanks in advance, regards,
Klaus

wywh

In macOS it works either way with Keys umlauts:

exiftool -E -overwrite_original_in_place -Keys:Title="XXX" -Keys:Genre="Holiday Videos" -Keys:Description="Video aufgenommen von: XXX" -Keys:Author="Sören" "Hawaii.MOV"

[Keys]          Author                          : Sören
[Keys]          Description                     : Video aufgenommen von: XXX
[Keys]          Genre                           : Holiday Videos
[Keys]          Title                           : XXX

exiftool -overwrite_original -Keys:Title="XXX" -Keys:Genre="Holiday Videos" -Keys:Description="Video aufgenommen von: XXX" -Keys:Author="Sören" "Hawaii.MOV"

[Keys]          Author                          : Sören
[Keys]          Description                     : Video aufgenommen von: XXX
[Keys]          Genre                           : Holiday Videos
[Keys]          Title                           : XXX

- Matti

Phil Harvey

I can't comment on how Windows displays special characters in QuickTime tags.  Some Windows users will have to answer this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Your command works correctly for me, but then I have my system set to UTF8 as in this StackOverflow answer.

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).