Previous topic - Next topic

smashed_penguin

Remove all metadata command:
-all= does not remove APP14 (Adobe) block metadata, the separate command:
-Adobe:all= must be used to do so. Why? Should "all" not remove ALL :P

ExifTool Version: 12.68
System: Windows 10 19045.3636

Phil Harvey

The APP14 block contains image-related data, not metadata.  If you delete this then you may mess up the colours of the image.  Read here and here for an example of what can happen.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

The Adobe block doesn't contain any data that can be used to identify where it comes from.  There's no reason to remove it.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

smashed_penguin

Quote from: StarGeek on November 02, 2023, 10:44:57 AMThe Adobe block doesn't contain any data that can be used to identify where it comes from.  There's no reason to remove it.
You say that but the reason I originally asked this was because I had a series of images that contained some type of identifying information, I don't remember what it was exactly Artist or Date, some type of what I would call "basic info" in the APP14 block (seen via the metadata panel, in the ExifTool tab in digiKam) that wasn't being updated along with the others i.e. EXIF, IPTC, XMP. Could it be that this information was incorrectly written there originally?

Phil Harvey

I think you are mistaken.  ExifTool will not extract metadata like this from any APP14 segment.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: smashed_penguin on December 14, 2023, 07:00:18 AMYou say that but the reason I originally asked this was because I had a series of images that contained some type of identifying information

Can you share such an image?
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).