TYER in ID3 v2.4

Started by Happy Hobo, December 08, 2023, 11:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy Hobo

ID3 version 2.4 "replaced" TYER with TDRC, but some audio tools have not adapted to this change.

I have files with ID3v2.4 that contain both TDRC and TYER.  exiftool displays TDRC, but for TYER, only this warning:Warning                         : [minor] Frame 'TYER' is not valid for this ID3 version
For audio files, I would like for exiftool to also output:
ID3 Version                     : 2.4
and if a v2.4 file contains TYER:Year (TYER)                     : 2001
Warning                         : [minor] Frame 'TYER' is not valid for this ID3 version
For -csv, just put "TYER" for the field name and put it in the column immediately before the Warning.  (Some user-friendly tag name for the version.)

I don't think the platform/version matters for this, but here they are:WGroleau@MBP ~ % exiftool -ver
WGroleau@MBP ~ % uname
Darwin
WGroleau@MBP ~ % uname -a
Darwin MBP.local 23.1.0 Darwin Kernel Version 23.1.0: Mon Oct  9 21:27:27 PDT 2023; root:xnu-10002.41.9~6/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
WGroleau@MBP ~ % echo "$(sw_vers -productName) $(sw_vers -productVersion) $(sw_vers -buildVersion)"
macOS 14.1.2 23B92

Phil Harvey

ExifTool does extract "Year" (TYER) even if it is not valid for the ID3 version.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Happy Hobo

For files containing both TDRC and TYER, I only see one "Year" and the warning.

StarGeek

What command are you using?  Are you including the -a (-duplicates) option in order to see duplicated tag names?  See FAQ #3.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

The tag name for TDRC is RecordingTime.  See the ID3 Tag Names.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Happy Hobo

I wasn't aware of "duplicates"  (I often see GPSDateTime twice—in images—without using that option.)  So, I see that TYER is listed as "Year" immediately after the warning.  That's close enough for me.  So I withdraw the request as not making enough difference to be worth any effort.  :-)