Feature Request: Remove ellipsis

Started by Neal Krawetz, January 04, 2024, 03:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neal Krawetz

Long values are often printed truncated with "[...]".
Using -n will show the full values, but also removes the human-readable text values.
I want the human-readable values, but with the full values (not truncated with [...]).

Looking over the code:
Exif.pm uses: $tval = substr($tval,0,28) . '[...]' if length($tval) > 32;
Other pm files use > 60.
The exact lengths are hard-coded.

Command to find all of the truncation code:
  grep '\[\.\.\.\]' *.pm

Can you either:
(A) Give a command-line option to omit the ellipsis and show the entire value?
and/or
(B) Give a command-line option to specify the max line length prior to truncating?

Phil Harvey

Hi Neal,

All of the values are limited to 60 characters (except for Unknown Sony encrypted tags which were limited to 65).  The 32-byte limits are for -htmlDump tooltips.

I'll add an API LimitLongValues option to allow you to set the length limit to whatever you want, but it won't affect the limit in the tooltips.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Neal Krawetz

That sounds great. Thank you.
(This is related to the exif 0x9999 json field. The [...] means I can't decode it.)

Phil Harvey

Hi Neal,

There should be no Exif_0x9999 tag as of ExifTool 12.72.  In this version the tag is extracted as XiaomiSettings (only if requested) with no line-limit, and the JSON is parsed to extract individual tags.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Neal Krawetz

Ah...  I haven't run regression testing for 12.72 yet. I was going to do that this weekend.
(I run about 100,000 pictures through ExifTool and then identify everything that changed.)