Remove exif data from the IMAGES (jpg) that are EMBEDDED inside a pdf file

Started by GeoVan, March 05, 2024, 10:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeoVan

Removing metadata from a PDF, as it is well known, the command are:
exiftool -all:all= input.pdf    --> Provided we want to remove the metadata from the input.pdf
And to make the changes irreversible, qpdf tool can help as follow:
qpdf --linearize input.pdf output.pdf

My question is little different - i want to remove exif data from the IMAGES (jpg) that are EMBEDED inside the pdf file.

Is there a way (what command to use) in order to can remove exif metadata from all the embedded images that are inside a PDF document, please?

StarGeek

Exiftool can't edit files that are embedded in a PDF.  Exiftool uses the incremental update feature of PDFs which doesn't change the previous data, which is why it must be re-liniarized to finalize the changes.

A previous post on the subject
Quote from: Phil Harvey on August 12, 2019, 08:20:40 AM2. The solution wouldn't be complete because there could already be unused objects containing old metadata in the original PDF, and ExifTool wouldn't be able to zero out these.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

GeoVan

If you know, is there any other tool that can be used in order to remove exif metadata from all the embedded images that are inside a PDF document, please?

StarGeek

Offhand, I don't know of a free way to do so.  Adobe Acrobat Pro (subscription) appears to be able to.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).