Does the home/world timezone setting get listed in Canon SX280 metadata?

Started by vornez5000, June 21, 2024, 07:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vornez5000

Say if time date and timezone were set identical for both home
and world settings, is there a Canon_0x9999 flag (for example) that would
indicate whether the camera was in home or world timezone setting when
it created that jpeg file?

I've ran tests in both home and world, the jpeg files are different, without
taking into account specific data such as time and date and other parameters,
but the headers are too complex to interpret -    ␋␌␏␑␔␘␜ amd ␋␌␏␑␔␘␜ like it can
be determined.

Have used this command, it produces alot of useful info, except that:

exiftool.exe -v *.jpg > C:\output.txt

StarGeek

I went looking through the Canon Makernotes tag pages (Canon Tag page/CanonCustom Tag Page/CanonRaw Tag Page/CanonVRD Tag Page) and didn't see anything obvious.  It could be saved and is simply unknown at this time.

I looked through the web for some sample images and didn't see anything obvious in the few I could find.

Can you provide a sample for each of the Home and World settings, making sure that the World setting is set to a different time zone? For example, take a picture of the floor with each setting, so that way very little data gets changed otherwise.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

vornez5000

If you could look at some sample photos, that would be great! Thank you.

I'll start collecting some more sample photos from different regions as well.

https://easyupload.io/ek7z33

StarGeek

I only compare two images right now (getting late for me) and in that pair, there were only three unknown tags that changed (Canon_0x0022/Canon_0x002e/Canon_0x0032).  All three had multiple values (208 values/11 values/7 values), all unsigned 16 bit integers. So at first glance, it doesn't look like there's a simple one or the other tag for the Home/World setting.

I think the best you can do is the TimeZone tag, which will change according to the setting.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

If that information is stored, one might expect it to be stored in the TimeInfo structure with TimeZone, TimeZoneCity and DaylightSavings.  But all of the bytes in this structure are accounted for, and I can't see this setting stored anywhere else.  I even searched through other binary structures with the -U option.

StarGeek's suggestion is the way to go.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

vornez5000

Some of these may be relevant, when using the -U option:

Canon Camera Info Unknown 32 0x002a: 1
Canon Camera Info Unknown 32 0x0075: 64
Canon Camera Info Unknown 32 0x007d: 1103
Canon Camera Info Unknown 32 0x0083: 1176
Canon Camera Info Unknown 32 0x0158: 1129
Canon Camera Info Unknown 32 0x0160: 4
Canon Camera Info Unknown 32 0x017c: -705