ExifTool macOS ObjectName Behavior

Started by PenguinTool, August 26, 2024, 01:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PenguinTool

I've been using ExifTool extensively for 5 years on macOS for my project to convert 23 years of film photos (which of course have no EXIF information) to digital. I recently decided to add the filename to the IPTC:ObjectName tag to fill the Title field used to sort images in macOS and iOS Photos (I previously filled in the Title field using an AppleScript program). When I do so, however, the IPTC tags DigitalCreationDate and DigitalCreationTime are changed to a seemingly random date and time that I have to restore to complete the EXIF change. This of course slows down the process tremendously, so I was wondering if anyone had ever seen this odd bug and fixed it?

StarGeek

Something else is happening. Writing to IPTC:ObjectName will only write to that tag if the IPTC data already exists or write to that tag and create IPTC:ApplicationRecordVersion if the IPTC data is brand new. It will not randomly write to IPTC:DigitalCreationDate/IPTC:DigitalCreationTime.

Are you double-checking the results with exiftool or relying on some other program to read the data?
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

PenguinTool

Thank you for the reply. I'm using only ExifTool to set and check the file EXIF data. I agree it makes no sense to see such behavior, but it's definitely occurring. For what it's worth it only occurs on the new EXIF data I generate for film photos, photos out of a digital camera do not have date/time corruption when I add the IPTC:ObjectName tag. I've been dealing with it using macOS Unix shell scripts to restore corrupted dates/times with ExifTool after I add the ObjectName tag, so I can fix it before sending the photos to macOS/iOS Photos.

StarGeek

I would say you need to check your scripts, because it's easy enough to test on the command line to show it doesn't happen by simply writing to IPTC:ObjectName
C:\>exiftool -ver

C:\>exiftool -G1 -a -s -IPTC:all -Time:all y:\!temp\Test4.jpg
[System]        FileModifyDate                  : 2023:01:01 00:00:00-08:00
[System]        FileAccessDate                  : 2024:08:27 07:39:56-07:00
[System]        FileCreateDate                  : 2006:10:31 16:37:23-07:00

C:\>exiftool -P -overwrite_original "-IPTC:ObjectName<Filename" y:\!temp\Test4.jpg
    1 image files updated

C:\>exiftool -G1 -a -s -IPTC:all -Time:all y:\!temp\Test4.jpg
[IPTC]          ObjectName                      : Test4.jpg
[IPTC]          ApplicationRecordVersion        : 4
[System]        FileModifyDate                  : 2023:01:01 00:00:00-08:00
[System]        FileAccessDate                  : 2024:08:27 07:40:35-07:00
[System]        FileCreateDate                  : 2006:10:31 16:37:23-07:00
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).