F-Secure still reports unsafe app ExifToolGUI_install_6.3.5.0.exe

Started by ChasaImago, September 13, 2024, 03:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChasaImago

FYI:

I've tried it last august and F-Secure refused to install ExifToolGUI_install_6.3.5.0.exe.
So I waited a few weeks... and now, today, it is still listed as:

13/09/2024 21:06
Application blocked
Path: H:\Install\ExifTool
File: ExifToolGUI_install_6.3.5.0.exe
Reason: Rare application
Application blocked!

Almost the same issue applies to:
13/09/2024 21:08
Harmful file quarantined
Path: C:\Users\ewhaa\Downloads
File: ExifTool_install_12.6qEspZV9.96_64.exe.part
Reason: HEUR/APC

Also impossible to install the latest ExifTool 12.96  :(
(download cannot be completed, the file is already quarantined before downloading is 100% complete)
www.panomeister.com

obetz

my serious suggestion is to stop using F-Secure.

Using anything else than Microsoft Defender will likely make your system less safe.

Use virustotal to check files to be installed, there are a few candidates giving false positives all the time.

FrankB

Thanks for reporting.

Well, what can I say. I dont believe the file is malware, but I'm the one that produced it, so a Dutch saying applies "Wij van WC-Eend adviseren WC-Eend"
(For all non Dutch readers, its a phrase from a commercial, and used frequently to make fun of a producer praising his own products)

What you could do if you also believe the file is no malware, report it to F-Secure as being false-positive. I'm no F-Secure customer so I cant.

You could also try the portable version, maybe that's not reported by F-Secure. You would have to upgrade ExifTool yourself.

Frank

FrankB

Quote from: obetz on September 13, 2024, 03:46:44 PMmy serious suggestion is to stop using F-Secure.

Using anything else than Microsoft Defender will likely make your system less safe.

Use virustotal to check files to be installed, there are a few candidates giving false positives all the time.

Excellent additions. I agree.