Exiftool compatible GPS-tracking-system

Started by Archive, May 12, 2010, 08:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archive

[Originally posted by linuxuser on 2007-04-30 22:35:55-07]

Can anyone give me some info which gps-tracking-hardware stores gps-data, that can be easily used with exiftool? A little bash-script to modify the data, so it can be used with exiftool, would be ok.

Archive

[Originally posted by linuxuser on 2007-05-01 10:00:45-07]

I found the Wintec WBT-201 for about 100 Euro/US-$ which seems to be very interesting. Compare e.g. here or (with more info) in German here. The question is, how data of the log can be used with exiftool.

So I have a feature request:

Syncing of gps-logs with exiftool:

There are different formats around, like NMEA, kmz (GoogleEarth), txt (PaPaGo), plt (OziExplorer), htm (Visual Earth), gpx (Single/multi-GPX, Touratech QV), etc. While I don't know these formats, I think it should not be very difficult to do the following:

Searching in the log for time and gps-data

definition of a time-difference between camera and gps-tracking-system

definition of the time-field which has to be used for syncing (with a default time-field)

tolerance if there was no exact match of the time

option: using the next or previous entry in the gps-log, if no time-match was found within the tolerance.

definition of the name of a default import-log, optional another one.

Archive

[Originally posted by exiftool on 2007-05-01 11:25:29-07]

There are a number of utilities people have already created to
interpolate in GPS tracks and use this information with ExifTool
to geotag images.  There are links to a couple of them from the
ExifTool home page, and a google search should turn up others.

- Phil

Archive

[Originally posted by linuxuser on 2007-05-01 12:27:28-07]

Thanks for the note, Phil. I think a link at GPS would be nice.

Archive

[Originally posted by linuxuser on 2007-05-23 19:45:50-07]

First, I have to say sorry, to be a little offtopic.

In the meantime I use gpsbabel to create e.g. a gpx-file. It looks like that gpsphoto could fit my needs, but I don't know which options should be used. Probably I am thinking the wrong way. I write the data with exiftool and a bash-script, image by image in a loop.

How should I include gpsphoto and which options should I use? Uses gpsphoto exiftool? I have 2 exiftool-versions installed, the one I get with smart (6.49) and another one, not in the path (6.90), which I use with my script. Do I have to tell gpsphoto which exiftool has to be used?

It would be very nice, if you can give me an example with gpsphoto, which I should try. E.g. gpsphoto has an option "--city "text", is this the same as -IPTC:City= with exiftool? Is there a way that the  nearest city is defined automatically by the gps-coordinates? If you know a discussion-forum or similar for gpsphoto please let me know. At http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=625922 there are only a few postings.

Archive

[Originally posted by exiftool on 2007-05-24 12:04:31-07]

I think your best bet is the sourceforge forum or to email the
gpsPhoto author.  I have no experience using this myself.

- Phil