WIN7 Install – Application Closes Instantly

Started by merlewine, November 02, 2015, 07:44:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merlewine

I am using Windows 7. Have installed the program, tried placing it in the ROOT Directly (C:) as well as Windows directly. I right-clicked "Run as Administrator" and placed on Desktop. When I drag any file into it (.NEF), it opens displays for a microsecond and closes. What am I doing wrong?

Phil Harvey

Rename the app to "exiftool(-k).exe" for it to pause before exiting.  Without the -k option it will exit immediately.  (ExifTool lets you place options inside brackets in the app name.  Note that I have never seen another app that does this, so as far as I know the feature of adding options to the app name is unique to ExifTool.)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

merlewine

Well, I did that. I renamed the file, placed it both in the ROOT directory and in WINDOWS. I ran as asminstrator and then copied the file to the desktop and tried to drag files into it. It still appears and vanishes. Any ideas?

Phil Harvey

Try opening cmd.exe and running ExifTool from inside there.  (drag and drop exiftool onto the cmd.exe window, then drag and drop your NEF, then press RETURN).  You should then be able to see any error messages that may occur without the window closing.  My guess is that the ExifTool install might have failed (a-la note b in the Windows install instructions).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

merlewine

I did what you suggested and got the message " 'C:\exiftool' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

merlewine

I also deleted the ZIP and files and reinstalled before doing the CMD prompt thing.

Phil Harvey

I don't understand why it wouldn't recognize the app when you drag and drop it in the cmd.exe window.  Also, I don't understand why it says "C:\exiftool" in the message and not "C:\exiftool(-k).exe".  Unfortunately I can't test this on a PC right now, but I will do so when I get a chance to see if I can figure out what may be happening.

But one thing:  Did you also delete the temporary files before trying again (as per the instructions in my link above)?

- Phil

merlewine

I did delete them. And then reinstalled the app.

Perhaps what I need is a list of steps from the beginning. I am on a PC, windows 7, fast machine, lots of RAM (128 GB), SSD, etc.

Of course, I really need this tool if we can figure it out.

Phil Harvey

There are step-by-step instructions for running exiftool from the command line here.

Note that in the installation instructions, "exiftool.exe" should be placed in the "C:\WINDOWS" directory.

- Phil

ryerman

Quote from: Phil Harvey on November 02, 2015, 08:05:03 AM
Rename the app to "exiftool(-k).exe" for it to pause before exiting.  Without the -k option it will exit immediately.  (ExifTool lets you place options inside brackets in the app name.  Note that I have never seen another app that does this, so as far as I know the feature of adding options to the app name is unique to ExifTool.)

- Phil
FYI
Here's another command line tool that also allows adding options to the app name:
http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize
Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Exiftool v12.61

Phil Harvey

Quote from: ryerman on November 02, 2015, 09:13:11 AM
Here's another command line tool that also allows adding options to the app name:
http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize

Thanks for the link.  Good to know.  So ExifTool isn't unique this way.

- Phil