FocusDistanceUpper/FocusDistanceLower

Started by pengler, June 01, 2010, 12:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pengler

Hi

I'm trying to read out FocusDistanceUpper/FocusDistanceLower on a Canon EOS 5D Mark II with an EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro lens attached and get always 0. Other combinations with the same camera (e.g. with an EF70-200mm f/4L USM attached) seems to work perfect.

Has somebody any idea what's going wrong? Is maybe the EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro lens faulty because other cameras show the same result.

Thanks for support.

Phil Harvey

It seems that these numbers aren't written for all lenses.

I have 5DmkII samples with 4 different 50mm lenses.  Of these, pictures with the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L and Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX (which has the same LensType number as your Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro) have these values written properly, but pictures with the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM and Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f/1.4 do not.  I can't say why.

But I wouldn't lose too much sleep over this.  I don't think these numbers are very accurate anyway.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

pengler

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply. At least I know now that there is no mistake in our maker note reader nor that the lens is faulty.

- Peter

sjs

Quote from: Phil Harvey on June 01, 2010, 12:27:47 PM
It seems that these numbers aren't written for all lenses. [...] I can't say why.

That's simply because not all Canon lenses report distance information to the camera body. Check the lists at http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eflenses/lens_list.php or http://canon-eos.serveblog.net/geraet/index.htm and note the "E-TTL II support" information. (E-TTL II relies - among other things - on the focusing distance information to compute the appropriate flash power.)

Regards,

Sebastian

Phil Harvey

Quote from: sjs on June 06, 2010, 09:58:46 AM
That's simply because not all Canon lenses report distance information to the camera body.

Makes perfect sense.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).