Check fuctionality via exiftool

Started by FGaertner, June 10, 2010, 09:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FGaertner

Hello All,
Im new in this forum and Im not shure if Im right here. But I have the following problem and Im looking forward a solution.

After tagging all of my images with the exiftool I figured out, that some of my JPG Files are corrupt and cannot be tagged. So far I love the exiftool that it figured it out but on the other hand I would like to have a functionality to check which pictures are corupt and my repair them via the exiftool.

Is there such a functionality thinkable or possible?

kind regards and thanks in advance

Frank

This Information I found on the following Homepage and thats exactly what I have but I cannot get in touch with that person. Can you may help me with exiftool?
http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/fix-corrupt-jpeg-photo.html
Corrupt Photos

Have you ever opened a photo on your hard drive, only to find that your JPEG image is now garbled by colors and lines, banding or shifted? ... Worse yet, the photo won't even open and instead reports an error?
Typical Error Messages Indicating Corruption

* No Preview Available - Windows Explorer
    * Drawing Failed - Windows Picture & Fax Viewer
    * This document may be damaged (the file may be truncated or incomplete) - Photoshop
    * Can't read file header! Unknown file format or file not found! - IrfanView

Phil Harvey

Hi Frank,

There are 2 types of corruption.  Either the metadata or the image may be corrupted.  ExifTool will complain and not write the image if the metadata is corrupt.  You can read about how to repair corrupted metadata in JPEG images in FAQ number 20.

Let me know if you have any questions after reading this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

FGaertner

Thanks for the information.
I'll check it

regards
Frank

FGaertner

Hi Phil,
unfortunality it does not work. Have you got any idea how to repair the picture. I do not know if the pictures are worth to repair becaus I cant open them.
With the first picture I got the follpowing message:

ERROR: File format error

With the second picture it says that it can be updated but I can't still open it. The only thing I see is the tumbnail within the picture

Any clue?

regards
Frank

Phil Harvey

Hi Frank,

I would just be guessing without seeing the images.  If you could provide samples I will be able to help more.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

FGaertner

Hi Phil,
attached ae two excamples.

I will now say thank you for the great support and the great tool

regards Frank

FGaertner

Hi,I cannot post the picture here. They have just each 4,5 MB

regards
Frank

Phil Harvey

Hi Frank,

You should be able to attach images up to 10 MB in this forum.  Or you can mail them to me at philharvey66 at gmail.com if you don't want to post them here.

- Phil

Phil Harvey

Hi Frank.

I got the 3 images you sent in the mail.

The first 2 images (AAA02150 and AAA02151) are all binary zeros and contain no useful data.

The third image seems to have corrupted image data, but the EXIF information is intact.  The best I can do from a metadata standpoint is to extract the thumbnail image from this data:

exiftool AAA08294.JPG -thumbnailimage -b > thumb.jpg

But exiftool can not be used to repair the damaged image itself.  There may be other utilities that can help here, but I'm not an image recovery expert.

Sorry for the bad news.

- Phil

FGaertner

Hello Phil,
thanks for the answer even if I dont like that answer. However I have to live with the result and investigate in searching for a solution somewhere else.

However
Thank you for the time you spend on the issue

regards
Frank

scharott

Hello,
my experience in damaged jpg-files: some of such files could be opened with the freeware "irfanview".
This is also possible, if the file has no or a wrong file-appendix. But if a file is damaged in bytes of its content, and it has no useful data, then I didn't have success.
best regards
scharott