Eye-fi Geotag JPEG --> RAW (ARW)

Started by bibyfok, October 04, 2010, 08:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bibyfok

Hi,

I have a Eye-fi card that geotag my pictures, however it only tags JPEG Files.
I would like by shooting in RAW+JPEG to be able to transfert Geotag to RAW files (ARW in my case)
I have no clue on how doing this... Is it possible with Exiftool?

Would love to find someone that could help me!

Thanks.

Phil Harvey

This is easy if the JPG and ARW files have the same name:

exiftool -tagsfromfile %d%f.JPG -gps:all -ext arw DIR

But you should note that there is still a problem reading edited ARW images from some of the more recent Sony cameras with Adobe products, however they are currently (and at long last!) in the testing phase for a fix to this problem.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

bibyfok

Thanks, had an error but worked perfectly! I LOVE YOU!
Bibyfoks-MacBook-Pro:untitled folder bibyfok$ exiftool -tagsfromfile %d%f.JPG -gps:all -ext arw /Users/bibyfok/Desktop/Transit/Photos/Raw1
Warning: [minor] Error reading PreviewImage - /Users/bibyfok/Desktop/Transit/Photos/Raw1/DSC00121.JPG
    1 directories scanned
    1 image files updated

Phil Harvey

Glad it worked.

The warning could happen if your Eye-fi card wiped out the PreviewImage in the JPG file (which is certainly possible).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

bibyfok

Phil,

Have I have a small problem :(

After using your script, the image is perfectly viewable with "Preview" the universal image viewing software from Apple. However, i can not read it in Lightroom... (Talking about ARW files...)

Do I miss Anything?

Thanks.

Here is the complete log:
Bibyfoks-MacBook-Pro:Photos bibyfok$ ./GPS.sh
Warning: [minor] Possibly incorrect maker notes offsets (fix by -40?) - /Users/bibyfok/Desktop/Transit/Photos/Raw/DSC00353.JPG
Warning: [minor] Entries in SubIFD were out of sequence. Fixed. - /Users/bibyfok/Desktop/Transit/Photos/Raw/DSC00353.ARW
Warning: [minor] Possibly incorrect maker notes offsets (fix by -40?) - /Users/bibyfok/Desktop/Transit/Photos/Raw/DSC00355.JPG
Warning: [minor] Entries in SubIFD were out of sequence. Fixed. - /Users/bibyfok/Desktop/Transit/Photos/Raw/DSC00355.ARW
Warning: [minor] Possibly incorrect maker notes offsets (fix by -40?) - /Users/bibyfok/Desktop/Transit/Photos/Raw/DSC00356.JPG
Warning: [minor] Entries in SubIFD were out of sequence. Fixed. - /Users/bibyfok/Desktop/Transit/Photos/Raw/DSC00356.ARW
Warning: [minor] Possibly incorrect maker notes offsets (fix by -40?) - /Users/bibyfok/Desktop/Transit/Photos/Raw/DSC00357.JPG
Warning: [minor] Entries in SubIFD were out of sequence. Fixed. - /Users/bibyfok/Desktop/Transit/Photos/Raw/DSC00357.ARW
    1 directories scanned
    4 image files updated
Bibyfoks-MacBook-Pro:Photos bibyfok$

Phil Harvey

Did you read my comment earlier in this thread?:

Quote from: Phil Harvey on October 05, 2010, 07:28:35 AM
But you should note that there is still a problem reading edited ARW images from some of the more recent Sony cameras with Adobe products, however they are currently (and at long last!) in the testing phase for a fix to this problem.

However, this Adobe bug only results in an incorrect color tone for the image.  I have never seen a problem where Lightroom wouldn't load an image at all.  Does it give any messages?  If you want me to track down this problem, send me the original and modified ARW images and I'll take a look.  (you can mail them to me: philharvey66 at gmail.com)

- Phil

Phil Harvey

Thanks for the sample.  I have reproduced the problem with your image and other NEX-3 samples I have available, and it seems to be isolated to the Adobe software.  When converting with Adobe DNG Converter 6.2, I get the message "The file appears to be an unsupported raw format" for edited NEX-3 images.  Neither dcraw nor the Sony IDC 3.2 software have any problems with these edited images.

I have reported this to Adobe, and I'll let you know if I hear back from them.

- Phil

bibyfok

Thank you for your help Phil!
Great support!!!

Phil Harvey

Update:  An adobe software engineer has just confirmed this bug is now fixed at their end, and he can now properly convert all of the test ARW images I sent.  So all we have to do is wait until they release the update.

- Phil

bibyfok

Phil,

Thanks. You are awesome!!!

All the best.

bibyfok