Main Menu

pentax PEF and DNG

Started by jörgens.mi, June 06, 2013, 09:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jörgens.mi

In a discussion some questions come up and I got the tip that there may be help here

Are there an information in an Pentax K5 PEF file which can't be found in a pentax K5 generated DNG file?

Does the adobe dng converter transport all metadata from the pef to the dng or gets metainformation lost?

Phil Harvey

Off the top of my head I don't know the answers to these questions.  You'd have to compare the ExifTool outputs to see.

But in general, I do not trust the Adobe import of maker note information for 2 reasons:

1) It is known to lose information for some camera models

2) The information is reformatted to a proprietary Adobe format that nothing but ExifTool (as far as I know) can read

- Phil

Edit: fixed typo
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

jörgens.mi

Thanks, then I got the information i want to know.

It is a very important, when you  say, the format may loose some information.
And that there is only one tool to read it, that is not enough.

The second thing is, how can I dump all meta information of a pef or a dng file?
That means all, except for preview pictures and all Raw-Data.

Phil Harvey

The command I recommend is:

exiftool -a -u -G1 -w txt FILE

where FILE is one or more image file names or directory names.

This command will produce an output ".txt" file for each input image.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

jörgens.mi

Is there any information wether a dcp-profile is embedded in the dng-file?

Phil Harvey

You could look for some of the DNG Profile tags (ProfileName, ProfileToneCurve, etc).

See the EXIF tags documentation for a list.

- Phil