Finding program on Apple computer

Started by Jeff Hart, December 28, 2010, 09:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Hart

Just getting started.  Need to edit exif metadata for Olympus e5/raw conversion for Aperture/Apple (changing name to E30).  OK, I downloaded the program, but I can't find it...it isn't in the applications folder where applications are placed after downloading.  The instructions indicate to simply type in "exiftool" in the "directory."  By "directory" do you mean "find."

Phil Harvey

In OS X:

1) Launch the "Terminal" application from Applications/Utilities

2) type your exiftool command in the Terminal window, followed by a space

3) drag and drop files and/or folders onto the Terminal window

4) press RETURN in the Terminal window to run the exiftool command on the files you dropped

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Infobleep

Hi Phil

I wasn't ware that one could drag and drop files into the terminal window. That is really useful as it saves having to move files around when I wish to work with subsets of files from within one folder.

All the best

Tim

Jeff Hart

Thanks Phil, that works.  Never realized the "terminal" window existed.  So far, so good.   Now that I can drag and drop a folder of Raw files into the exiftool tool window, how do I change the model number from E-5 to E-30 (so that these raws will eventually be imported into Aperture)?  I see that I can highlight "E-5" and change it to "E-30", but how does one permanetly change the model number.  Also, is there a way to batch change a whole bunch of pictures?

Phil Harvey

Hi Jeff,

The command would be:

exiftool -model=E-30 FILE

where FILE is the name of one more more files and/or folders (which you may drop on the Terminal instead of typing the name).  If it is a folder, ExifTool will process all writable files in the folder.  Add a -r option to also process files in sub-folders.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).