Main Menu

Must I delete Previous GUI version?

Started by Kronk, December 30, 2010, 05:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kronk

Hi,

Do I 'have' to delete the previous version?

If I create a second folder w/ both Exiftool.exe & ExiftoolGUI inside.  Would there still be some conflict?
Only thing I can think of is.. there being remnants (well, they are never cleaned out upon exit) ..in
C:\Documents and Settings\Kronk\Local Settings\Temp\
If (well, for me on my WinXP SP3) ..I don't manually delete the folder created by Exiftool ..there can
end up being umpteen subfolders for each new version of exiftool.  I hadn't noticed that and had 15-20 (well, alot).

Which is just to say.. that would be perhaps the only place (so I think)  ..that some conflict would arise.

Undoubtablely, I end up completely switching to the newer version.   I just didn't want to disrupt what I have already.
Which is ExifToolGUI.exe 3.42.0.0  & exiftool.exe 8.3.8.0  ..all over on K:\ drive  w/ a shortcut too, in QuickLaunch bar.

Kronk

Phil Harvey

The exiftool temporary files are not a problem because each version of exiftool uses a different set of temporary files.  So I don't anticipate any problems with 2 versions of ExifToolGUI.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BogdanH

GUI will use ExifTool version, which is in the same folder as GUI. If ExifTool isn't in the same folder as GUI, then ExifTool in Windows folder is used. If you have two different GUI/ExifTool versions in two separate folders, then these two are totally isolated (they don't know about each other).
Speaking for me, I always use only one (usually most recent) GUI/ExifTool version. When new ExifTool version is available, then:
1. I manually delete existing ExifTool temp files,
2. Copy ExifTool version into Windows directory (which overwrites the old one)

Bogdan

Kronk

Quote from: Phil Harvey on December 30, 2010, 07:07:55 AM
So I don't anticipate any problems with 2 versions of ExifToolGUI.

- Phil

Thanks for the confirmation.

Quote from: BogdanH on December 30, 2010, 11:57:53 AM
GUI will use ExifTool version, which is in the same folder as GUI. If ExifTool isn't in the same folder as GUI, then ExifTool in Windows folder is used. If you have two different GUI/ExifTool versions in two separate folders, then these two are totally isolated (they don't know about each other).
Speaking for me, I always use only one (usually most recent) GUI/ExifTool version. When new ExifTool version is available, then:
1. I manually delete existing ExifTool temp files,
2. Copy ExifTool version into Windows directory (which overwrites the old one)

Bogdan

Oh I see,  never had a Windows folder for Exiftool.  Might be a nice thing. GUI wouldn't have to be in Exiftool folder ..and ends up running because it's (exiftool.exe) in the PATH
Anyway, my Folder over on K:\ is "...Exif_Utilities\Exiftool_CurrentVersion\"  ..and when DL'n they go into "...Exif_Utilities\Exiftool_DLs\"
When extracting..go into the CurrentVersion.  SO really only ONE folder.  It was just your mention of DEL the .ini & note of some features not included (so far) into the GUI 4.xx versions.  Well, somewhat set in my ways.  Didn't want to completely remove the prior.

Kronk

BTW.. You can count me in on the FEW that would/wanted to know how to replace the JPEG thumbnail ..so that it then reflected the Edited version.