Main Menu

Altitude not set

Started by ScottTiger, January 15, 2011, 05:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottTiger

When I set the Latitude, Longitude, Altitude for several JPG manual (because inside a building my GPS reciever had no data) all is set accept for the altitude this even resets the existing values to zero (0 m)! Even when I tap it to leave as it is.

I use ExifToolGui 4.4.0.0 with ExifTool 8.45

The JPG are made with a Canon 20D (still with the thumnail 8 byte problem)

BogdanH

Hi,

Quote from: ScottTiger on January 15, 2011, 05:02:41 PM
When I set the Latitude, Longitude, Altitude for several JPG manual (because inside a building my GPS reciever had no data) all is set...
-I understand so far. But,..
.. acce[t for the altitude this evne resets the existing values to zero (0 m)!
-here I'm a bit lost. Can you explain further please?

When you edit GPS data inside GUI (and file doesn't contain Lat/Lon/Alt data), GUI will by default show zero value for Latitude and Longitude. Altitude edit filed will only have "-"sign (which indicates Altitude tag doesn't exist).
When saved, GPS data is saved in bunch. That is, all three (Lat/Lon/Alt) values are saved. If you left Altitude value with "-" sign, then Altitude will become value zero.
Of course, you can modify each GPS tag separately by using ExifTool direct button, i.e.:
-GPSLatitude=10.5
-which alters only that particular tag.

QuoteThe JPG are made with a Canon 20D (still with the thumnail 8 byte problem)
Remind me... what thumbnail 8 byte problem?

Bogdan

ScottTiger

Quote from: BogdanH on January 16, 2011, 04:34:47 AM
Hi,

Quote from: ScottTiger on January 15, 2011, 05:02:41 PM
When I set the Latitude, Longitude, Altitude for several JPG manual (because inside a building my GPS reciever had no data) all is set...
-I understand so far. But,..
.. acce[t for the altitude this evne resets the existing values to zero (0 m)!
-here I'm a bit lost. Can you explain further please?

This was a type error (I have correct it)
It should say: accept for the altitude this even resets the existing values to zero (0 m)
feg: I select several pictures. One has the following values:
53°32.6080 North
009°59.3773 East
6.573881055 Above sea level
I choose [ /\ ] changing the EXIF and go to Various shown the above values, then tag [v] -change.
All the JPG's get the correct latitude, longitude but all the Altitude are set to 0 (zero).
Even the one with a correct not zero value Altitude.

When you edit GPS data inside GUI (and file doesn't contain Lat/Lon/Alt data), GUI will by default show zero value for Latitude and Longitude. Altitude edit filed will only have "-"sign (which indicates Altitude tag doesn't exist).
When saved, GPS data is saved in bunch. That is, all three (Lat/Lon/Alt) values are saved. If you left Altitude value with "-" sign, then Altitude will become value zero.
Of course, you can modify each GPS tag separately by using ExifTool direct button, i.e.:
-GPSLatitude=10.5
-which alters only that particular tag.

Correct when I select all the pictures and use the ExifTool direct '-GPSAltitude=6.6' all the JPG's are changed correct.
So this could be a workaround

QuoteThe JPG are made with a Canon 20D (still with the thumnail 8 byte problem)
Remind me... what thumbnail 8 byte problem?
This has nothig to do (I hope) with the Altitude problem, so you may ignore the issue but I got it when I used anonther tool GeoSetter: https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=1992.0
Bogdan

BogdanH

Got it!
It is my mistake. When I made GPS editing inside GUI, I had only integer (non-decimal) values in mind (I mean, who would manually enter Altitude=6.573881055m?) -as a result of my thinking, everything except integer, is considered as input error and becomes zero value. I simply forgot about possibility, that there allready might exist non-integer value.

This is serious bug in GUI (thank you very much for report it), so I'll try to correct that in next few hours.

Bogdan

Added: New version 4.05 is available for download.

ScottTiger

Thanks, it works as design  ;)