Main Menu

prevent creation of 'backup' file

Started by dacscomp, January 06, 2011, 01:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dacscomp

Hi
I am new to ExifTool, and so far all I have tried has been successful. I have executed the command to insert an ICC profile into an image and thi is working OK, apart from the resultant 'backup' file that is created ie   filename.jpg   has ICC  but filename.jpg_original is creaed.   Is there a command line option to prevent/delete this file?

Regards

Phil Harvey

The command-line option is -overwrite_original, but you have posted in the ExifTool GUI board.  I am sure there must be a corresponding GUI setting for this too.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BogdanH

I can't believe I've missed this post.. I was checking here several times since Jan. 6th.

Yes, in ExifToolGUI, there's menu Options>Don't backup files when modifying which serves that purpose.

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

Hi Bogan,

I've missed some posts too.  I have a suspicion that sometimes the "new message" icons may not show up, which could cause me to miss a post.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).