Maker notes could not be parsed

Started by gikotim, January 16, 2012, 10:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gikotim

I use exiftool on OSX Lion. I have the latest version (8.75). I have the same error on cmd-line & in Perl-Module.
I try to write exif data in a .tif, but get always this error:
$ exiftool -GPSLatitude= film_7-01.tif
Error: [minor] Maker notes could not be parsed - film_7-01.tif
    0 image files updated
    1 files weren't updated due to errors

I'm pretty sure it worked some time ago!

Phil Harvey

This indicates that the maker notes are not recognized by ExifTool, and so there is a chance that some maker note information may be lost if the image is written, but adding the -m option allows you to ignore this minor error and write the image anyway.  This is similar to FAQ number 15.

If you want me to take a look, you can email a sample to me (philharvey66 at gmail.com).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

Thanks for the sample.  The makernote information is 130 bytes long, but it looks self-contained so if it does contain something useful, it should be preserved OK when rewriting with ExifTool.  So I would say you are safe to use the -m option for this file.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).