Windows solution works elsewhere too.

Started by silversleevesx, January 31, 2014, 04:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silversleevesx

The solution Phil gave in this archived thread as working in the Windows command prompt also works in BASH 4.x with Exiftool 8.77 in other environments as well, specifically Cygwin and Ubuntu 11.04, in both of which I have 8.77 installed. Gnome users will be pleased that EOG (ie, ImageViewer) for that Ubuntu version sees the changes correctly in Image>Properties:Details (tab), Other (submenu).

I was hoping to find an Exiftool solution since I've been gradually converting my BASH scripts from Exiv2 to Exiftool, owing mainly to the fact that Pierre Gougelet's XnView "Browser>XMP" tab shows Phil's XMP code more readably than it does Andreas Huggel's. And M. Gougelet also made Exiftool part of his multi-platform XnView betas, so after six years of using E2 almost exclusively, I'm starting to see why he made that choice.

BZT

Phil Harvey

Thanks for the post.

I suggest you upgrade to a more recent version of ExifTool.  Version 8.77 is 2 years old, and metadata has changed a fair bit since then.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

silversleevesx

Phil:

No doubt it has. And were either of the machines on which I have Exiftool installed on the Net, I'd upgrade ASAP. But I suspect, since 8.77 is two years old, it would probably be as good to bring what I have it installed on up-to-date as well. So it's a case of "make do until," and I figure I could be worse off than this.

BZT