Lens ID for Sigma AF Macro 1:2.8 50mm/Nikon F

Started by burkhard, March 25, 2012, 10:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

burkhard

My (fairly old) Sigma AF Macro 1:2.8 50mm/Nikon F seems to be missing from Exiftool's database.

Lens Type                       : AF
Lens                            : 50mm f/2.8
Lens F Stops                    : 6.00
Lens Data Version               : 0202
Lens ID Number                  : 2
Lens F Stops                    : 6.00
Lens ID                         : Unknown (02 48 50 50 24 24 02 00)
Lens                            : 50mm f/2.8 AF

Thanks for exiftool – it's been invaluable for me so many times!

Cheers

Burkhard.

Phil Harvey

Hi Burkhard,

Thanks!  Is that different than the Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro that I find when I search for the lens?  If so, what is the exact lens model name?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

burkhard

No, it's different – must be an older lens, back from the 90s presumably. It's this one:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Sigma-AF-Macro-50mm-50-mm-2-8-Multi-Coated-Nikon-AF-/380401918537.

Cheers

Burkhard.

Phil Harvey

OK, thanks.  I'm not sure what I should call it then.  Perhaps just "Sigma 50mm F2.8 Macro".

Your reference had an "AF" in the name, but I there aren't any other Sigmas in the current ExifTool list with this designation, so I'm not sure it is correct.

- Phil

Edit:  I checked Sigma lens names for other mounts, and there are "Sigma AF ..." lenses in both Minolta and Pentax mounts.  So I am leaning towards "Sigma AF 50mm F2.8 Macro" at the moment.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

burkhard

Quote from: Phil Harvey on March 26, 2012, 07:35:10 AM
OK, thanks.  I'm not sure what I should call it then.  Perhaps just "Sigma 50mm F2.8 Macro".
I've just had a look into your Nikon list. It already contains the 'Sigma Macro 90mm F2.8' which seems to be from the same series, so I'd suggest to handle them both consistently, i.e., use 'Sigma Macro 50mm F2.8', or to use 'Sigma AF Macro 90mm F2.8'  and 'Sigma Macro 50mm F2.8'. Doesn't really matter to me, but it says AF on the lenses itself (probably to distinguish it from a previous MF version). Newer Sigma lenses don't seem to mention "AF" any more, in favour of sufficiently many other letters.

Cheers

Burkhard.

P.S. Forgot to mention that I also sent the lens information to Robert Rottmerhusen who seems to be the source of the lens IDs used in ExifTool.

Phil Harvey

Quote from: burkhard on March 26, 2012, 11:28:46 AM
P.S. Forgot to mention that I also sent the lens information to Robert Rottmerhusen who seems to be the source of the lens IDs used in ExifTool.

Thanks.  I've already done this too, and he will drive the final decision about the lens name.

- Phil