Main Menu

Picasa face detection

Started by icom, December 08, 2012, 04:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icom

Hi Phil,

some time ago you wrote
QuoteReading Picasa INI files is on my list of things to do, so it is possible that ExifTool will be able to do this conversion at some time in the future.

Is there still a new exiftool feature to be expected?

I'm using the face detection in Picasa, but up to now I've been reluctant to use the Picasa option "store name tags in photo", which is in principle what I want to do. However, I distrust the tagging of Picasa ...

Kind regards, icom

Phil Harvey

Hi icom,

Thanks for reminding me about this.  Somehow it had fallen off my to-do list.

I understand totally why you don't want Picasa to touch your images.  I wouldn't either.

Looking at the format of the INI file, it would probably take a dedicated exiftool option to be able to do what you want.  This is because the information for different files is all stored in a single INI file.  Also, it will require a lot of reformatting to do this.  Perhaps something like this is more suited to a dedicated script, which I am willing to write if it would be useful.  Would this help you?  You would need to have Perl installed to run it.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

icom

Hi Phil,

sorry for being late in my answer - I'm on business travel this week and don't have too much time  ;D

I think a script would help of course, and I don't fear installing Perl either - however, it would be my first contact with Perl. But I agree that an exiftool option would be something "very special" and script may be better suited. Additionally I might start liking Perl ...

icom