detection in javascript of video rotation

Started by simone.sanfra, May 10, 2013, 08:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simone.sanfra

Hi to all, I have to develop in javascript/html5 a player that is ablo to detect when the video is rotated and show in the right way. I have look many tools and source code, but the only one tool that is able to detect this is exiftool. My work is pretty limited, because html5 native can play just mov, mp4 and ogg in the better case of browser support. I have done the part of code to binary read the file, and manually rotate, so I ask to this forum how to read the rotation information. I also read the exif specification, without luck for me, because I have just a few knowledge about headers in video formats.
If you wish to help me, thank you ...

Phil Harvey

I've seen some javascript processing of EXIF but I can't remember where.  Maybe you can find this by googling.  Just extracting the EXIF orientation should be easy if you can find something that will parse the EXIF for you.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

simone.sanfra

I have found the exif reading for images, not for video ...

like this
http://www.nihilogic.dk/labs/exif/

Phil Harvey

You're right.  What I was remembering wasn't for video.  Extracting orientation from MOV videos is a bit tricky because you need to analyze the rotation matrix.  I don't remember seeing any Javascript solution that would do this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).