small DNG workflow - saturation missing from XMP extracted from DNG

Started by ktrowbridge, July 14, 2013, 02:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktrowbridge

Once the edits are complete on the small DNG images, I then have tried to use both the command line ExifTool app exiftool(-k -o %d%f.xmp).exe as well as the ExifTool GUI to extract an XMP file that I can then apply to the full size NEF files.   Both create a near perfect XMP with all the raw editing with the exception of Saturation from the Basic panel.  The more specific saturation options for HSL do appear, but no Basic Saturation.  Setting s from the rest of the basic module show up including Vibrance.  Please let me know of any solution.  Thanks

Phil Harvey

You're using LightRoom?  What version?  Could you send me a sample DNG with the basic Saturation set?  (philharvey66 at gmail.com)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ktrowbridge

Hi Phil,

I am using Lightroom 4 now, but may have been using the Lightroom 5 trial when testing ExifTool.  I will send you a DNG sample now with the basic Satration set (both B&W and colour for reference).

Phil Harvey

Hi Kevin,

I got your DNG samples, thanks.

Ah.  The problem is that the EXIF Saturation is being copied to the XMP.  To fix this, I would suggest just copying all XMP as a block:

exiftool(-k -o %d%f.xmp -xmp).exe

- Phil

Edit: Removed unnecessary -b option.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ktrowbridge

Hi Phil,
So I ran the executable as the version that you provided, but received an error stating that the filename or extension for the .exe is too long.  Please let me know what I should do?

Phil Harvey

Odd.  You can always install exiftool for command-line use and type the command in the cmd.exe window, or make a .BAT file with the following command, then drag and drop files onto it:

exiftool -k -o %%d%%f.xmp -xmp %*

- Phil

ktrowbridge

Hi Phil,

Sorry to be the newbie, but I have tried every possible fix I could think of, but still get the error that "the filename or extension for the .exe is too long" when I drag DNG files onto the .exe no matter what directory it is in (C:\Windows, the desktop, or the folder of DNGs)

I attempted to use the CMD line utility, but since I have no experience with using CMD line I didn't get very far. I tried to paste the command in after launching exiftool and it just stated C:\Users\Kevin> , which I expect was prompting me for the directory that the files were in, but after pasting the directory path nothing happened.  I also tried pasting your command to make the .BAT file with no prevail.

Please help point me in the right direction or let me know if I can pay you to create a fix.  Thanks

Phil Harvey

The problems you are having are with Windows, not ExifTool.  I'm afraid I'm no Windows expert.  Perhaps someone else here can help, or maybe if you post in a Windows-related forum you may get some answers.

I will do what I can, but it may take a while to figure it out this way.  If you have the patience, try describing your steps exactly, with a few screen shots, and I'll try to help.

- Phil