Incorrect Data for Canon A460

Started by GeorgeReis, January 12, 2014, 11:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeReis

I exported EXIF data from images from this camera and a few fields seem to have some incorrect data. Here are examples:

Exposure Time shows Jan 1, 360 and Jan 1, 640, etc.
ShutterSpeedValue and TargetExposureTime shows Jan 1, 318 and Jan 1, 636, etc.
FocusDistanceUpper shows 0m 29s 400ms and 7m 10s 800ms, etc.

In this instance, I am most interested in the last item, but wanted to report all. My assumption is that the numbers are right, but the units are wrong - perhaps they should be meters, centimeters, and millimeters? Although if that is the case, there likely needs to be a decimal placed in these as well. If anyone has some insight to the correct interpretation of these values, I'd appreciate it.

Phil Harvey

Very odd.  I have an A460 sample here and there is nothing weird about the values ExifTool reports for these tags:

> exiftool -exposuretime -shutterspeedvalue -targetexposuretime -focusdistanceupper -G1 -a ../pics/CanonPowerShotA460.jpg
[ExifIFD]       Exposure Time                   : 1/160
[Canon]         Exposure Time                   : 1/146
[Canon]         Exposure Time                   : 1/148
[ExifIFD]       Shutter Speed Value             : 1/159
[Canon]         Target Exposure Time            : 1/159
[Canon]         Focus Distance Upper            : 0.44 m

Are you using ExifTool to extract these values?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

GeorgeReis

Well, I was using the cdv argument, exiftool -csv -r (directory) > (output file)

I just did it the standard method, and everything looks good. So, perhaps it's something that's happening with the csv argument?

Phil Harvey

Ah.  That makes sense now.  Your spreadsheet program is interpreting values like 1/100 as a date.  Look at the original CSV file.  You may want to add the -n option to output as a floating-point number.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

GeorgeReis

I should have figured that out - thanks!!