Broken -stay_open

Started by rnicz, March 31, 2014, 07:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rnicz

I'm using exiftool.exe on Windows 8 running it with Ruby script using IO.popen() - Ruby's pipe. Here is code snippet:

cmd = [exiftool, '-charset', 'cp1250', '-charset', 'IPTC=cp1250', '-stay_open', 'True', '-@', '-']
      [...cut...]
      # mode have to be wt+: binary mode sets external encoding to ASCII-8BIT
      @exifio=IO.popen(cmd, "wt+:cp1250")
      @exifio.sync = true

Next @exifio variable can be used to communicate with running exiftool instance to manipulate images.

Up to previous version (9.54) everything worked fine, but when I upgraded exiftool to version 9.55 exiftool exits immediately with error code -1.

Command line call

exiftool.exe -charset cp1250 -charset IPTC=cp1250 -stay_open True -@ exchangefile

works as expected - so exiftool.exe works fine and can be controlled by writing to exchangefile.

Now I have no time to investigate further, I'm only signal problems I encountred.

--
Best regards
RNicz

Phil Harvey

I suggest uninstalling then re-installing.  My guess is that your installation is corrupt.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

rnicz

Than you for your answer.

In fact I did not remove temporary folder before installing new version of exiftool.exe. Tomorrow I will try this step and send you a message.

I wonder if name of temporary folder can be modified with version number of exiftool.exe or something...

--
Best regards
RNicz

Phil Harvey

The temporary folder does contain a version number already.  The problem is likely that there was an error expanding the new version.  Under normal circumstances you do not need to remove the temporary folder when upgrading.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

rnicz

It was antivirus problem.

I'm using Comodo Antivirus. New exiftool.exe was not recognized by Comodo Antivirus, with state "Needs to
be submited". In this state I couldn't mark it as recognized: it was always restored as untrusted.
I submited it to Comodo, next I updated it's database and problems gone.

It was first time I had such problem with Exiftool.

Thank you for assistance.

--
RNicz

Phil Harvey

I'm glad you figured this out.  Antivirus problems I have seen in the past didn't look like this, so I wouldn't have suspected this source for the problem.

- Phil