Feature request: Date/Time Shift Feature with camera clock drift correction

Started by gil1130, July 12, 2016, 01:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil1130

Hi Phil,

I would like to propose to implement an extension to the Date/Time Shift Feature (to shift for instance -AllDates) analog to the Geosync Feature which allows for camera clock drift correction by means of providing two or more synchronization points.

This would greatly help to get photos from different cameras into a timely correct order.

Kind regards
Erwin

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

gil1130

Hi Phil,

I would like to alter DateTimeOriginal, CreateDate and ModifyDate of many photos from different cameras to their correct values (where time shift is not a constant value: different camera clocks, different clock speeds, but time synchronization points for each camera are available) without any geotagging.

Possibly I don't fully understand the documentation (English is not my first language), but with -geosync (without -geotag) that seems not possible.

Or am I wrong (hopefully)?

Kind regards
Erwin

Phil Harvey

Hi Erwin,

Sorry, I didn't understand what you wanted to do.  I was thinking geotagging.

I haven't ever had a request for a feature such as you are suggesting.  It would be a significant and complex new feature, and I suspect that you are the only one who would ever use it. :P

The Geotagging feature would almost do what you want if it would write only GPSDateStamp and GPSTimeStamp (ie. no lat/long without any input track log).  If ExifTool could do this, then you copy the resulting GPSDateTime back to -alldates (and shift it to the local time zone if necessary).  Perhaps this could be a (round-about) way to do what you want without adding a new option.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

gil1130

Hi Phil,

thank you for your suggestion, that would be perfectly suitable for solving my problem!

Many thanks
Erwin

Phil Harvey

Hi Erwin,

Cool.  I'll work on implementing that for the next release.

- Phil