Tag value of -, versis missing tag in -T output

Started by calberga, September 07, 2015, 01:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calberga

OP: Windows XP SP3 & Windows 7
Ver: 9.98

I am using exiftool from the DOS-box, and am frequently extracting sub-sets of the tags on collections of .jpg files using the -T option

Many of these tags are only set on some of the files.  How, from the command line, and I make the output of missing tags simply be to adjacent tabs?  I.e, how do I make missing tags distinguishable form  tags with a value of - (hyphen character)?

Phil Harvey

To do this, add this option to your command:  -api missingtagvalue=""

This is mentioned in the description of -f in the application documentation.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

calberga

Thank you.  I mistakenly thought that "API" referred to calls to exiftool from other programs, not to the command line as well.  Hence I skipped over that section.  I apologize for my misunderstanding.

Phil Harvey

Ah.  The API is the Image::ExifTool Perl library interface.  There are lots of lower-level options there that are only exposed on the command line via the -api option.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).