Adjust file create date from filename not working?

Started by Alyssa, December 02, 2014, 10:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyssa

Hello
I've read the FAQ#05 about adjusting the file create date based on its filename.
I've recently recovered some screenshots from a backup whose name is in this format:
TERA_ScreenShot_20141104_201050

Its the typical YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS format, so I tried to use the command shown in the FAQ#5:
-overwrite_original "-alldates<filename" <Directory>

The images were scanned but the dates were unchanged, I thought I didn't need to specify the date format since the same FAQ states:

"This will work for any file name which matches the above criteria (eg. "IMG_20110927_103000.jpg""
(Which is the same format as my screenshot files use)
So I wonder why its not working?
Thanks

Phil Harvey

Try doing this on a single file and adding the -v2 option to provide more details, and post the result here.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Alyssa

*Update*

Apparently if I use the tag "file:filecreatedate instead" of the "alldates" one it works.

Phil Harvey

Your command worked perfectly to set the common metadata date/time tags.  But you wanted to set the filesystem date/time.  You can of course set whatever date/time tags you want... you just need to figure out which ones.  This is faq 3.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Alyssa

Oh okay, I thought the"alldates" included the file create date and such.

Well never mind anyway just needed the create date adjusted.

Phil Harvey

Yes.  The name "AllDates" is definitely misleading.  This is a Composite tag which represents only the common EXIF date/time tags.  If you really want all date/time tags, then you can use "Time:All", but I think that this would give you more than you bargained for.  (The only reasonable way to go this route would be to add -wm w to prevent ExifTool from creating new tags, but this is a somewhat advanced feature.)

- Phil