Truncated Field info

Started by luvnrocs, April 01, 2015, 06:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvnrocs

I added some information into the IPTC Source field using Adobe Bridge CC that has 157 characters. When I export these TIFF files via the exiftool to CSV the text gets truncated to 36 characters.

Is there a way to have it not truncate through exiftool?

Phil Harvey

ExifTool will not truncate IPTC values when reading.  If they were truncated, it was by Adobe Bridge when writing.

ExifTool will truncate IPTC when writing (to conform to the specification), but this may be avoided with the -m option.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

luvnrocs

That is weird that Bridge might be truncating it when writing only because when I go back into Bridge the entire phrase is still there.

I should probably use exiftool to add all the metadata rather than Bridge then. However I have 7 fields I need to fill and some have 150-200 characters so creating a string for exiftool.exe wouldn't be realistic. Ideally I would like to drag and drop a folder on say a .bat file and have it apply the metadata to all TIFF files in the folder and subfolders. I'm not very well versed at batch scripting in Windows.

Hayo Baan

Quote from: luvnrocs on April 02, 2015, 12:27:05 PM
That is weird that Bridge might be truncating it when writing only because when I go back into Bridge the entire phrase is still there.

I should probably use exiftool to add all the metadata rather than Bridge then. However I have 7 fields I need to fill and some have 150-200 characters so creating a string for exiftool.exe wouldn't be realistic. Ideally I would like to drag and drop a folder on say a .bat file and have it apply the metadata to all TIFF files in the folder and subfolders. I'm not very well versed at batch scripting in Windows.

Bridge is very likely writing the same info to the xmp, where there is no size restriction. Bridge will then use the data from the xmp when displaying the content (and still adhere to the size restriction of the IPTC when writing/updating). I suggest you have a look at the xmp for the source metadata instead of the IPTC to solve your issue :)
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl