Strange problem in case of timestamp shift

Started by mahikeulbody, April 30, 2015, 09:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahikeulbody

Phil Harvey

Hi Pedro,

Just being picky here:

You called TIFF format type 13 "TIFF_CRAZY" in your patch.

It should be called "TIFF_IFD" according to the reference I gave.

(It is not crazy at all.)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

pedrocr

Quote from: Phil Harvey on May 05, 2015, 11:56:44 AM
You called TIFF format type 13 "TIFF_CRAZY" in your patch.

It should be called "TIFF_IFD" according to the reference I gave.

(It is not crazy at all.)

It's pretty crazy... Trying to mutate a TIFF consistently doesn't seem really feasible, let alone one of these very ill specified raw formats. I've called it TIFF_OFFSET to make it more descriptive. It's too bad CIFF didn't win or DNG isn't used more.

Phil Harvey

Hi Pedro,

I agree that CIFF would have been much better.

But DNG isn't any better than any other RAW format from a metadata point of view.  In fact it is worse:  The Adobe DNG converter takes proprietary maker notes, breaks them apart, and buries the pieces inside another proprietary Adobe layer.  Also, the writers of the DNG specification need some serious reprimanding (did you see the DNG 1.3 problem on the page I referenced earlier?).  Just another crazy TIFF mutation for sure. ;)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).