Main Menu

DateTimeDigitized

Started by asta, May 06, 2015, 04:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asta

Hi,

I understand that this will look a bit strange but can someone from the staff verify that "datetimedigitized" in exif-metadata really shows the correct information when extracted with exiftool (I think so).
But when I look at one of my tif-files via a different program I dont get the same date/time.

Why Im looking into this is a long story but I was quite sure the problem was in the "other" program.
Reported this as a bug but their answer is "there is no bug / the error is in exiftool".

thanks in advance.

Phil Harvey

Quote from: asta on May 06, 2015, 04:53:44 PM
Reported this as a bug but their answer is "there is no bug / the error is in exiftool".

This is virtually never true. ;)  One must remember that ExifTool has had 12 years to shake out the bugs from its EXIF code. :)

It is possible that this is just a misunderstanding.  If you consult the ExifTool tag name documentation you will see that the EXIF tag you are calling datetimedigitized is called CreateDate by ExifTool.  Could that be causing some confusion?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

asta

Yes, thats it I think!

But if so, I have to ask what I update when I update "datetimedigitized".
I set datetimedigitized to datetimeoriginal and I can see that its a different tag (not CreateDate) thats updated (the updated tag is named datetimedigitized).

Phil Harvey

If you extract the information with the -G or -G1 option you will see where it is coming from.  And you can use these group names when writing to write to specific locations.  eg) "-exif:createdate=now"

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

asta

Ok, I will check that.
Thanks for the answers.