Getting duplicate file names in tabular/list form

Started by techraf, July 01, 2015, 06:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techraf

With exiftool failing to rename files, is is possible to get a list of all duplicate filenames (source and destination) without parsing the stderr?

I want to use exiftool's output as an input to ImageMagick's "identify %#" to find images that differ only by EXIF.

Regards,

Phil Harvey

I guess I don't understand why parsing stderr is a problem.  Is it because you want the names in some other format?  I would just grep for "already" in stderr.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

techraf

Phil,

Thank you for answering.

There is no problem. I just thought if the "obstructing filename" were treated as regular tag name, I could pass more than two arguments to the child script doing comparison (mainly to differentiate between old camera not supporting subseconds and files that were edited/rotated and have the same times).

Anyway, as you pointed out, I can parse the stderr and achieve what I wanted in more than one pass. I just wanted to make sure if there was no shortcut for this.