DSC RX100-III Anywhere in EXIF where I can find ImageSequence# ?

Started by exwul, July 28, 2015, 10:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exwul

Sony images are named as follows: DSC00001, DSC00002, etc.

Once the files have been renamed, the original filename (DSCnnnnn) is gone.

AFAIK there is no way to get / trace them back. I am no expert on ExifTools but as far as I can see the sequence number is not listed.

Is there any way to get retrieve these numbers ?
(ref: http://www.exiftool.org/TagNames/Sony.html - see "SequenceImageNumber")

Again, I am no expert.

Thanks
=

Phil Harvey

Sorry, but I think you are out of luck with images from this camera.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

exwul

MOL

Quote from: exwul on July 28, 2015, 10:22:28 AMOnce the files have been renamed, the original filename (DSCnnnnn) is gone.

Why don't you read the original file names and save them in some tag first before you actually rename the images?

StarGeek

Quote from: MOL on July 28, 2015, 05:59:29 PM
Why don't you read the original file names and save them in some tag first before you actually rename the images?

It is something that you don't always think about until too late.  I had one set of photos from a friend where the date/time was the same for all of them.  For some reason the clock on the camera wasn't working.  My normal rename messed it all up.  Now, I copy the filename into IPTC:ObjectName and XMP:Title first, just in case.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

exwul

Indeed, I didn't think of it... sad enough.
a) I copied the original photos to a subfolder
b) there I resized them (50%) and started of renaming - this was for a special purpose
c) then I wanted to rename the originals as well, in line with the small ones

this would be easy -if-  the original filenames were still available...

well, they aren't. bad luck.
I was then still hoping there would be a seq#, so I would be able to reconstruct the names.
DSC+Seq#  or something.

anyway, good lesson for nex time,
=