how to copy XPKeywords to IPTC:Keywords ?

Started by djtn, October 09, 2015, 09:25:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djtn

I'm using the KODI application with OpenELEC on my Raspberry. I like run a slideshow with my pics displaying the people tag information which need to be stored in IPTC:Keywords for that purpose. How to I use exiftool to copy IFD0:XPKeywords to IPTC:Keyword ? In this example, I wiped out existing Tags in IPTC:Keywords. Ideally, the command just adds all IFDO:XPKeywords to IPTC:Keywords without creating duplicates, any idea how to achieve that ?

This one doesn't work as the individual Tags from XPKeywords are interpreted wrongly:

exiftool "-IFD0:XPKeywords>IPTC:Keywords" -ext jpg c:\test
returns
Warning: [minor] IPTC:Keywords exceeds length limit (truncated)

The IPTC.Keywords are seperated by a semikolon then rather than by a star and the fourth tag is cutted down to three digits

Expected result for IPTC:Keywords:
Tag1*Tag2*Tag3*Tag4

My Result after running the command:
Tag1;Tag2;Tag3;Tag[cutted here]

Phil Harvey

It sounds like you should be splitting the XPKeywords (which is a single string) into separate IPTC Keywords when copying.  You can use the -sep  option for this.  See FAQ 17 for some help with List-type tags.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

djtn

Thanks again, Phil, you saved my day ;-)

So my command syntax looks like:
exiftool -sep "; " "-IFD0:XPKeywords>IPTC:Keywords" -ext jpg -r c:\temp\test

and copies the tags from XPKeywords to IPTC:Keywords like a charme.