OUTFILE FMT key for full filename

Started by TSM, May 03, 2016, 08:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TSM

Is it possible to have a single FMT key that defines the full input filename+ext ie %F.
This would help with some validation code I use with path info as sometimes I have files which have no extension and I am using %d%f.%e_tmp_ then the _tmp_ becomes the extension.
Its more for ease of use but if not I can work around it.

Phil Harvey

Right.  I thought this might eventually be a problem for someone.  I'll post back here after I have had a chance to think about this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

I'm toying with this:

Capitalized format codes %D, %F, %E and %C provide slightly
            different alternatives to the lower case versions.  %D does not
            include the trailing '/', %F is the full filename including
            extension, %E includes the leading '.', and %C increments the
            count for each processed file (see below).

If that doesn't seem too confusing, I'll think about implementing it.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

TSM

Seems to cover all bases.

Following the ideas in this http://php.net/manual/en/function.pathinfo.php
It may be clearer that %b is the basename (ie full filename+ext).

Not sure if there is a need to the trailing slash or the period before the extension as these can be easily handled i would have though, but I see where you are going with it.

Phil Harvey

Thanks for your feedback.

Removing the trailing "/" with %D allows you to do things like put a folder name into the filename.

Adding the "." to %E allows you to put the same extension on a different file name and handle the case where there is no extension.

Of these, I think that %F is the least useful because it is the same as %f%E.

I like your idea of %b, but wanted to keep things more symmetric since I can see a use for modified %D and %E.

- Phil

Edit: ExifTool 10.16 is now available with this new feature.