Installed into par-12345678 instead of par-FRED

Started by Peter_B, July 08, 2016, 01:20:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter_B

Hi, Phil,

I have a Win 10 desktop and installed Exiftool 4.22 today. Is there any significance to the apparently sudden change from '/Users/FRED/AppData/Local/Temp/par-FRED' as installation folder (assuming my user name is FRED) to a (parallel) folder named (for example) 'par-12345678'?  I normally use ExifToolGUI to effect the install, although this time I ran GeoSetter first and allowed it to update to v4.22. I have about 5 previous versions of Exiftool on this Win 10 PC and all installed into par-FRED.

I use a file comparison program to change some of the Lens definitions in "pentax.pm" each time a new version of Exiftool is released and this time did not find the usual path when comparing v 4.22 to an earlier (already edited) pentax.pm.

Doesn't bother me particularly - but always curious when something changes in my (PC) world!

Cheers,
  Peter

Phil Harvey

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the note.  Yes I noticed this myself.  In this release I used an updated version of the package archiver (PAR) too, and apparently it is using the user name in hex for the temporary directory.  My guess is that this is to avoid problems with special characters in the user name.  But it doesn't seem to cause any problems.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Peter_B

OK, Phil,

that's good to know - I'll incorporate the changes into my routines.

Cheers,
  Peter