Bug report : problem uploading image after changed IPTC

Started by Sylvain, January 15, 2017, 06:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylvain

Hello,

First of all, thank you very much for this worderful tool. One of the best computer tool I ever used since 20 years among computers :)
I tried probably thousand of tools since the first computer I touched.  :)

The problem I meet.

Some times I upload photos I share with photos.google.com

Here it's not my photos, but some images I worked on, I share with the same system. (Did so many times)
But It doesn't work this time.  :-[

After I changed IPTC when I upload images on photos.google.com it's locked.
No thumbnail.
And no possibility to view images nor.

If I changed IPTC with ACDSee it's ok, no problem.
But I can't do the same (and it's longer)

1- Windows 8 Enterprise (upload done with several browsers, FF and Chromium)

2- Done first with exiftool 10.1.0 (in windows directory)
--> I changed with last version 10.4.0 downloaded for
==> same result when ul.

3- command line
exiftool -Artist="Sylvain GARCIA" -Copyright="© Sylvain GARCIA 2017, all rights reserved" -Credit="Sylvain GARCIA Photography" -Contact="Sylvain GARCIA, Me.and.myself@gmail.com" -Software="© Sylvain GARCIA 2017" "-IPTC:Caption-Abstract<Filename" -By-line="Sylvain GARCIA" -By-lineTitle="Freelance Photographer" -Creator="Sylvain GARCIA" -CreatorRegion="Bourgogne" -CreatorCountry="France" -CreatorWorkEmail="Me.and.myself@gmail.com" -CopyrightNotice="© Sylvain GARCIA 2017, all rights reserved" -UsageTerms="For consideration only, no reproduction without prior permission" -Sub-location="" -City="" -Province-State="" -Country-PrimaryLocationName="France" -Country-PrimaryLocationCode="FRA" -SpecialInstructions="Damien Bricoteaux Compagnie & Tour Manager Le Cirque Invisible" -credit="Sylvain GARCIA" -L -P -overwrite_original *.jpg

Thing I can't do with ACDSee
-Software="© Sylvain GARCIA 2017"
-L
-P

4- it always says
28 image files updated
No sign of any problem
It's all ok as usual.

I don't know what is chocking for google ^^.  :'(

5-
images ul whithout changes, it's ok
images ul whith changes whith ACDSee, it's ok
images ul with exiftool, it's ko  :(

StarGeek

Interesting.  I first tried you command line on one of my test images which has a lot of other metadata in it and it uploaded fine.  But then I cleared out all the metadata, ran your command, and was able to reproduce the problem. 

One thing to note is that your command creates XMP and EXIF data as well as IPTC data.  I'm playing around with it to see if I can narrow down the problem.

Obviously not an Exiftool problem but something happening on Google Photos end.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

StarGeek

Very strange.  My test file uploaded properly after I removed the EXIF:Copyright tag.  Google Photos doesn't display any copyright data from the file, but it appears to be reading it.  This isn't the entirety of the problem, as an image with just your copyright tag uploads and displays just fine.  So there's some sort of collision in the data on Google photo's end.

Still working on it, will post again if I find out more.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

StarGeek

Ok, narrowed it down.  It's the combination of the Copyright tag and the Creator tag.  Remove one or the other and it uploads fine.  More specifically, it's the copyright © sign in the Copyright tag.  Remove it, but leave the Creator tag and it works fine.  Finally, you can add -charset exif=UTF8 and it will upload correctly.

Edit: I did send feedback detailing the problem.