Bad Photoshop IRB resource "BIM\x04"

Started by Thorgall, December 22, 2017, 12:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorgall

Hello,

I have an issue that when modify IPTC metadata using an exernal tool, in some case the PhotoShop metadata end up unreadable by exiftool or when i open the image in PhotoShop.
At first i thought it was a problem of encoding but the external tool take into account the metadata IPTC:CodedCharacterSet.

And what i don't understand is why, when i modify IPTC metadata, it affect Photoshop metadata.

I have attached 2 photos that shows the issue.

Does anyone know what might be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

NB: I use exiftool v10.64. I am on Windows 8.1

Phil Harvey

In a JPG file the IPTC is located in the Photoshop IRB resources.  The IRB signature should be "8BIM", not "BIM\x04", so the software you are using is writing it incorrectly.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Thorgall

Thanks, for your answer.

Also what i don't understand is that in some case it's written correctly and in some case it's not? Does the total lenght of the IPTC metadata may have an impact? Because after some testing, modifying the IPTC metadata (IPTC:Headline for example) in adding one character makes the Photoshop metadata readable.

Thanks in advance.

Phil Harvey

OK then, it sounds like a byte alignment problem.  Could be that the "BIM\x04" is the last 3 bytes of a valid 8BIM.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).