SAMSUNG WB850F with Schneider KREUZNACH lens - Unrecognized MakerNotes

Started by ycl, November 10, 2015, 08:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycl

re: SAMSUNG WB850F with Schneider KREUZNACH VARIOPLAN 4.1-86.1mm 1:2.8-5.9 23mm ZOOM lens - Unrecognized MakerNotes
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/EC-WB850FBPBUS

1. System type: OpenBSD 5.8 amd64

2. ExifTool version: 10.05

3. Command: exiftool '-FileName<CreateDate' -d %Y_%m_%d__%H_%M_%S%%-c-SAMSUNG_WB850F.%%e .

4. Console output:
$ exiftool '-FileName<CreateDate' -d %Y_%m_%d__%H_%M_%S%%-c-SAMSUNG_WB850F.%%e .
Warning: [minor] Unrecognized MakerNotes - ./2015_10_22__12_10_26-SAMSUNG_WB850F.jpg
    1 directories scanned
    0 image files updated
    1 image files unchanged

GPS Power: off

$ exiftool 2015_10_22__12_10_26-SAMSUNG_WB850F.jpg

ExifTool Version Number         : 10.05
[...]
Exif Byte Order                 : Big-endian (Motorola, MM)
Make                                   : SAMSUNG
Camera Model Name     : SAMSUNG WB850F/WB855F
[...]
ISO                             : 100
Exif Version                    : 0221
[...]

exiv2  (http://www.exiv2.org/) gives errors like the following...
Error: Directory Samsung2: Next pointer is out of bounds; ignored.
Warning: Directory Samsung2, entry 0x0000 has unknown Exif (TIFF) type 0; setting type size 1.
Error: Offset of directory Samsung2, entry 0x0000 is out of bounds: Offset = 0x09520000; truncating the entry

I run a script to name photographs and sort them into directories.
exiftool '-FileName<CreateDate' -d %Y_%m_%d__%H_%M_%S%%-c-SAMSUNG_WB850F.%%e .
exiftool '-Directory<DateTimeOriginal' -d %Y_%m_%d .

I'd like to see if I could have exiftool automatically insert the camera make and model, omitting the /WB855F designation, if possible (with underscores in place of spaces) so I could have photographs from different cameras in the same directory and have everything named correctly.  I'm going over https://exiftool.org/faq.html#Q15 (re: MakerNote warnings or errors)

Thank you for all your efforts on ExifTool!

Sincerely,
Daniel Villarreal

P.S. This is a great camera, it's fast, it's compact, it's light, and I like how it takes panorama photos.. I had to take it in to get repaired (it would lag initially when changing settings, eventually the camera would not change settings at all.)  I see no way to confirm the firmware version, and I'm reticent to attempt any updates when it appears to be functioning well.

Phil Harvey

Hi Daniel,

FAQ number 15 deals with MakerNote errors.  Add -m to the command to enable writing a file with these errors.

- Phil

Edit:  I realized that the makernote problem shouldn't prevent writing the file because you are just setting the file name.  I tried your command with a sample WB850F file I have here and this works for me:

> exiftool '-FileName<CreateDate' -d %Y_%m_%d__%H_%M_%S%%-c-SAMSUNG_WB850F.%%e -v a.jpg
======== a.jpg
Setting new values from a.jpg
Warning: [minor] Unrecognized MakerNotes - a.jpg
Warning: Error rebuilding maker notes (may be corrupt) - a.jpg
Warning: [minor] Error reading PreviewImage from file - a.jpg
'a.jpg' --> '2012_06_20__06_17_20-SAMSUNG_WB850F.jpg'

Also, I didn't address your question about automatic formatting.  For this the advanced formatting feature could be used, with a command something like this:

exiftool "-filename<${createdate}-${model;s(/.*)();tr/ /_/}-$-c.%e" -d %Y_%m_%d__%H_%M_%S DIR
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ycl

Hi Phil,
Thanks for the quick response, your help is greatly appreciated! I'm hoping to add the lens designation to the file name. This would perhaps be unnecessary if any and/or all variants of this model had only this lens.

After modifying my script...

exiftool -m '-filename<${createdate}-${make;s(/.*)();tr/ /_/}-${model;s(/.*)();tr/ /_/}$-c.%e' -d %Y_%m_%d__%H_%M_%S .

I got filenames like this...

2005_04_28__14_45_13-Hewlett-Packard-Photosmart_M407.jpg
2012_09_16__15_18_43-Sony_Ericsson-U8a.jpg
2013_03_15__11_12_48-SAMSUNG-SAMSUNG_WB850F.jpg

I'd like to make the naming be more like the following...

2005_04_28__14_45_13-HP_Photosmart_M407.jpg
2012_09_16__15_18_43-Sony_Ericsson_Vivaz_pro_U8a.jpg
2013_03_15__11_12_48-SAMSUNG_WB850F_Schneider_KREUZNACH_lens.jpg

I did try the ExZenToo tool, by K.J. Jeitler (kjoe), on the latest CentOS GNU/Linux (http://www.exiftool.org/index.html#links), and I think that
helps a lot, by allowing one to experiment and see what the ExifTool commands look like. I'll post to that page shortly.

Thanks again!
Daniel Villarreal

Phil Harvey

Hi Daniel,

You can do any arbitrary reformatting you want with the advanced formatting feature, but if it gets very complex it may make sense to create a user-defined composite tag to do this.  Search for "userdefined mymodel" in this forum for various examples of people who have done this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ycl

Thank you very much, Phil! Lots of great information.
Sincerely,
Daniel Villarreal

ycl

re:
My goal is to have make and model designated for pictures taken by cameras manufactured by different companies.

I've reworked the script to this...

#!/bin/bash
exiftool -m -if '$model eq "SAMSUNG WB850F/WB855F"' '-filename<${createdate}-${model;s(/.*)();tr/ /_/}$-c.%e' -d %Y_%m_%d__%H_%M_%S -P .
exiftool -m -if '$model !eq "SAMSUNG WB850F/WB855F"' '-filename<${createdate}-${make;s(/.*)();tr/ /_/}-${model;s(/.*)();tr/ /_/}$-c.%e' -d %Y_%m_%d__%H_%M_%S -P .

I used -P to keep the original timestamps.

Before I was getting something like ...
2013_03_15__11_12_48-SAMSUNG-SAMSUNG_WB850F.jpg

Now I get this...
2013_03_15__11_12_48-SAMSUNG_WB850F.jpg

Just wanted to share,
Thanks!
Daniel Villarreal

ycl

I decided to add a line similar to the following in my script for each camera model represented in my picture collection.

exiftool -m -fast1 -if '$model eq "SAMSUNG WB850F/WB855F"' '-filename<${createdate}-${model;s(/.*)();tr/ /_/}%-c.%e' -d %Y_%m_%d__%H_%M_%S -P .

see http://www.exiftool.org/exiftool_pod.html

and to do this recursively, I would do  this

exiftool -r -fast1 -m -if '$model eq "SAMSUNG WB850F/WB855F"' '-filename<${createdate}-${model;s(/.*)();tr/ /_/}%-c.%e' -d %Y_%m_%d__%H_%M_%S -P .

And you can also rename like this...

exiftool -r -fast1 -m -if '$model eq "Silicon File"' '-filename<${createdate}-Sprint_Silicon_File%-c.%e' -d %Y_%m_%d__%H_%M_%S -P .

I'm also wanting to save space, so I found a post of Phil's for removing embedded thumbnail pictures and associated tags from jpg files only.
see https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php/topic,2468.msg10891.html#msg10891