Why limiting IPTC.Category

Started by kiboost, October 05, 2017, 04:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiboost

Hi,

When setting IPTC Category tag with exiftool, the string is limited to three characters.

Every other softwares I know allow reading and writing at least 18 characters (a string I actually use)

Would it be possible to up this limit in future updates ?

StarGeek

Because according to the the IPTC IIM Specifications (see page 31), it is supposed to be limited to three characters.  You can work around this by using the -m option, which will allow exiftool to ignore the specification.

There is also the XMP:Category tag, which isn't limited to only three characters.  You might want to check to see which tags your software is writing to.

If I recall, the original use of this tag was in news agencies and limited to some very specific codes.  Though I can't seem to find any actual links on this at the moment.

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

kiboost

Phil Harvey

Just FYI, this feature is explained in the 3rd paragraph on the ExifTool IPTC Tags documentation page.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).