exiftool simply stops....

Started by JFStoves, September 25, 2017, 01:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JFStoves

EXIFTool appears to be exactly the tool I need.  I have scanned over 5000 slides that I found when my father passed away.  I am using the "jumbl" (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LU0XO3O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) slide scanner.  In the EXIF data it sets the Caption and Description fields to be "My Beautiful Picture"; and the "RelatedSoundFile" tag to "Related file".  I want to change the caption to be the file name (without the extension), the description to be the text my father hand-wrote on the slide and to remove the sound file reference.

I extract EXIF data with the command "exiftool -G -s -progress -csv *.jpg > exiftool.csv".  The file appears to extract correctly, with the exception of a minor error attempting to decode the MakerNotes.

I have the data from the slides in an Excel spreadsheet.  I copied about 700 of the images to a TEMP directory to test on a smaller population before trying to update all 5000 files.  I wrote a VBA program that updates the exiftool.csv file with the values that I would like to see.

I then try to update the image files using the CSV.  I use the command "exiftool -m -progress -csv=exiftool.csv *.jpg".  exiftool then does two files and stops.  The third file is gone, albeit the ".JPG_original" file is there.  I can restart it, and it will restart at the next file.  There are no error messages.  It just quits.

C:\Temp\Dads Slides>exiftool -m -progress -csv=exiftool.csv *.jpg
======== PICT0001.JPG [1/710]
======== PICT0002.JPG [2/710]
======== PICT0003.JPG [3/710]
======== PICT0001.JPG [1/709] <== File count is one less
======== PICT0002.JPG [2/709]
======== PICT0004.JPG [3/709] <== Note file 3 is missing
======== PICT0005.JPG [4/709]
======== PICT0006.JPG [5/709]
======== PICT0001.JPG [1/708]
======== PICT0002.JPG [2/708]
======== PICT0004.JPG [3/708]
======== PICT0005.JPG [4/708] <== Note files 3 & 6 are missing
======== PICT0007.JPG [5/708]
======== PICT0008.JPG [6/708]
======== PICT0009.JPG [7/708]
C:\Temp\Dads Slides>

If I do the that one file by itself, it works fine.  I rename the JPG_original back to JPG and:
C:\Temp\Dads Slides>exiftool -m -progress -csv=exiftool.csv pict0003.jpg
======== PICT0003.JPG [1/1]
    1 image files updated

The EXIF information is updated as desired.

I am running Windows 10.  I am using the current version of exiftool (10.61).  I see no error messages, nothing the the event viewer, no crash log or anything.  It just quits.

To ensure it wasn't my changes that caused the issue, I did the extract immediately followed by the update.  I experienced the same symptoms.

To see if the issues was with WIN10, I created a shortcut running the program in compatibility mode using WINXP, WIN7 and WIN8.  I got the same result each time.

I used Windows Explorer to bleach all the EXIF information from the files.  Then attempted to use exiftool to add my values back.  Same result.

I have noted other issues with WIN10 in the forum, but I didn't see any that matched what I was seeing.

Any help would be appreciated.  TIA.

StarGeek

Are there any error messages when you remove the ignore minor errors option -m?

Also, are you able to share the first 10 or so lines of your csv?
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

JFStoves

No errors, it just quits.  first 10 lines of csv file attached.

Phil Harvey

Is there a chance that a virus scanner is interfering with ExifTool?  I can't imagine how this could just cause ExifTool to abort without a message, but I have seen other similar problems due to virus scanners locking files.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

JFStoves

I rebooted the computer in safe mode, sans virus scanner and a whole bunch of other junk.  Same result -- did two and quit.

...Jim...

Phil Harvey

Another remote possibility is that ExifTool didn't expand somehow into your temporary directory (the TEMP environment variable).  Try deleting the temporary files and re-running exiftool.  If you haven't changed your TEMP setting, I think the directory for Windows 10 should be C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\par-USER

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).